Fault with soft starter

Bill.c1

Motor takes 3 or 4 starts to reach running speed
Also stops when running on fault 17 no load b
Control is through PLC conns link

And to what kind of machine is that motor connected ?
is it a difficult starting machine?
like a big centrifugal fan?

Allen Bradley SMC flex
Connected to 100 kw motor wood chipper in saw mill
Has been running for past 5 years
I have power monitor connected now and will check later

How do you check control module on starter

Motor takes 3 or 4 starts to reach running speed
Also stops when running on fault 17 no load b
Control is through PLC conns link
No Load B means the current flowing through Phase B is less than 20% of the rating of the starter. My first thought is that you have a loose connection somewhere. On a chipper, it might be at the motor connection box due to vibration. Could also be a failing motor winding, but I always like to eliminate the cheap things first.

How do you check control module on starter
Don't start by assuming the control board is bad, assume it is doing its job and protecting you from a bigger disaster. Eliminate ALL other possibilities first. Generally if a control board is bad it just ceases to function, not start acting squirrely.

Last edited: