PanelView Plus communication loss if Flex I/O is connected with PLC

toont

Hi all!
Am having a strange problem with communication between a PanelView Plus 1500 ethernet and PLC-5 40D revision B.
They are connected as follows:
PLC RIO -> RIO to Ethernet converter -> PanelView Plus Ethernet.
PLC racks 2 and 3 are used for Flex I/O, rack 6 for RIO signal to converter. All are using channel 1B.

- When online with one or both Flex I/O racks connected there is a loss of communication once every few seconds, seemingly irregular intervals. This happens regardless of baudrate, rack order, RIO cable connection order (flex1/flex2/converter or converter/flex1/flex2) and RIO cable length short (2 meters) or long (~100 meters).

- When online with no Flex I/O connected there is no communication loss between PLC and PanelView Plus.

The converter configuration was double checked and these devices are working fine in several other setups using Flex I/O, PLC-5 and PanelView Plus. The converter is nog showing/logging any communication errors.

Can the Flex I/O somehow interfere with the RIO comms to the converter?

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Unfortunately not, but since then a few new firmware versions of the RIO-Ethernet converter have been released with communication bug fixes, make sure you have the latest version.