Red Lion G3 - Comms to ControlLogix

CraigM1

I am communicating between a Red Lion G3 Touchscreen and a ControlLogix processor using AB native tag addressing.

I have managed to get bools and ints communicating successfully but can not manage to read a string in the screen.

There does not seem to be an option in this driver to create a link to a string.

Does anyone know now set up a link to display a string?

At this time there are a few data types that we do not support. Those are:

Strings
String Arrays
Boolean Arrays
User Defined Types

In order to read and write strings with the current version of the driver, you will need to use an integer array (could be an INT or DINT). The G3 can treat each element of the array as a character, or as 2 characters packed into a single 16-bit word.

On the G3 side, all you need to do is map a string tag to the starting element of the array and specify the number of characters so the G3 know how many elements to read.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the PLC side as to how to convert from a String to an Int array or vice versa.

Regards,
Dan

DanYost said:
At this time there are a few data types that we do not support. Those are:

Strings
String Arrays
Boolean Arrays
User Defined Types

In order to read and write strings with the current version of the driver, you will need to use an integer array (could be an INT or DINT). The G3 can treat each element of the array as a character, or as 2 characters packed into a single 16-bit word.

On the G3 side, all you need to do is map a string tag to the starting element of the array and specify the number of characters so the G3 know how many elements to read.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the PLC side as to how to convert from a String to an Int array or vice versa.

Regards,
Dan

Dan
a string is composed of two elements,

LEN , length if string which is a DINT ( double integer)
DATA, string data wich is an array of 82 SINT, ( single byte )

string_type.jpg

In the Clgx PLC if a string has LEN is 20 characters, the Clgx will fill each DATA element 1 ASCII character and fill the remaining characters of the DATA array with NULL 00h

If it is possilbe to move the Data field into an Int Array, and vice versa, then that would work.

We are currently working on adding string support.

Regards,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply on this one.

I have managed to get this working by creating an array of Ints in the control Logix, eg TestInt Int[10].
I then coppied the string.DATA field to this integer array.

In the G3 I created a Word single dimension array under the PLC pointing at TestInt. A string tag was then defined to point to TestInt which could then be displayed on the screen.

Regards,
Craig

Last edited:
Awesome, that also sounds rather easy. I will keep this in mind for anyone else who needs to read strings, before we come out with a build that supports it.

Regards,
Dan

The Cmore panels import the L5K file and support those data types including my user defined types.