Type J Thermocouple Reading Issue

Austen_l

Hello All,
My name is Austen, and I am working on a project for a plastics extrusion plant that deals with a lot of thermocouples and other things. The type of TCs being used are type J thermocouples.

We are having an issue with a Moxa ioLogik E1262 TC Series Ethernet Remote I/O Module. This module transmits the temperature readings into an Allen Bradley CompactLogix 5069-L306ER as a Remote I/O device with an EDS file applied to Studio 5000.

The problem we are having is our readings from the Moxa are jumping +- 5,6,7 degrees when activating production mode in the program. What production mode activates is a cutter motor to cut the product as it is extruding. When production mode is not activated, our readings are correct and very stable.

Attachment 1 'Moxa1' is a screenshot of the jumping we trended in Studio 5000.

The original way these TCs were read was by a Eurotherm controller. This controller oversaw temperature control as well as transmitted the temperature to an Allen Bradley SLC500 controller through Modbus.

We believe there is some type of noise interfering with our readings that we just cannot seem to remove. We have gone through multiple tests to try to remove this noise with no luck. Because we could not find a solution to this problem in a timely manner, we rewired the TCs to the Eurotherm controllers to see if they were jumping. The readings are perfect and rock solid when production mode was active. The line is running using the Eurotherms right now to allow us to continue testing and continue making product.

The TC wire is just 2 solid wires covered in a plastic sheath. The TC wire is running through conduit with 120VAC and some shielded analog wire. At a certain point this conduit goes to a junction box where the TC wire again goes through another piece of conduit where it is introduced to 480VAC. That 480VAC powers the cutter motor.

The Allen Bradley CompactLogix and the Moxa Modules are powered with 24VDC. There is a total of 5 devices on the 24VDC PS. 3 Moxa Analog Input modules, 1 Moxa TC module, and 1 CompactLogix.
Attachment 2 'Moxa2' is a photo of the CompactLogix and the Moxa modules.

Our first test we attempted was putting a UPS between the 120VAC powering the 24VDC power supply to power the Moxas and CompactLogix.

Our second test was powering just the Moxa TC module with a different 24VDC power supply and the UPS.

Our third test was to try running twisted-shielded TC extension wire through the conduit and connecting the TC to it to see if it would remove the noise.
Each test has failed, and we have run out of ideas.

There is a total of 5 lines with this process at the end of each line in the plant. I am going to attempt testing all lines and see if it is common throughout or if it is secluded to just one line.

We have been in contact with Moxa and awaiting answers.

Would anyone have any additional thoughts as to what could be causing this or what we could test next? I hope my explanation of the issue painted a decent picture, but please ask me any questions if something doesn't make sense.

Welcome to the forum.
I would suggest using the shielded wire and run in a separate conduit from the 120 vac wires.

You may be able to adjust the filtering on the MOXA unit.

The TC signal is very small, millivolts. Does not take much to mess it up.

gtsuport

This is the difference between isolated and non-isolated inputs. This is a guess since MOXA is silent on that and any common-mode rejection specs. I have seen 100+ volts riding on a thermocouple, but the Eurotherm 2604 had no problems with that. Voltage is getting induced on one or all of them at some point. You might start by disconnecting them one at a time. I bet that with just one connected it will be stable. I think your only solution is to get a better T/C input device.

1. The Eurotherm is undoubtedly designed with low pass filtering and isolation, because it is understood that its primary sensing elements will be thermocouples .

> try running twisted-shielded TC extension wire
> to a junction box where the TC wire again goes through another of conduit where it is introduced to 480VAC. That 480VAC powers the cutter motor.

Both those wiring runs, next to AC power cabling, violate the rules for thermocouple cabling. Since the noise occurs when the cutter motor runs and the cutter motor is the 480Vac motor, that's probably the main contributor.

Like gtsuport says: use twisted shielded T/C extension wire in a separate conduit; do not run the T/C extension cable parallel to and alongside the AC power cabling.

> The TC wire is just 2 solid wires covered in a plastic sheath.
> try running twisted-shielded TC extension wire

Twisted shielded pair will help when you get the cable away from running parallel to the 120AC and 480Vac power cabling.

It is highly recommended to separate the thermocouple cables from the AC power cables and even more at now days that many loads are driven with switching power supplies such as VFDs with strong dv/dt slopes.

In addition, the circuit of a thermocouple is ideal for capturing electromagnetic induction, it is like a single turn of a winding.

check grounding all sensors should be free of ground.

use shielded cable and connect shield only in cabinet.
every noise in the signal is bad,better is shield instead of a software filter.

You have identified your source of noise already

Hello All,
My name is Austen, and I am working on a project for a plastics extrusion plant that deals with a lot of thermocouples and other things. The type of TCs being used are type J thermocouples.

We are having an issue with a Moxa ioLogik E1262 TC Series Ethernet Remote I/O Module. This module transmits the temperature readings into an Allen Bradley CompactLogix 5069-L306ER as a Remote I/O device with an EDS file applied to Studio 5000.

The problem we are having is our readings from the Moxa are jumping +- 5,6,7 degrees when activating production mode in the program. What production mode activates is a cutter motor to cut the product as it is extruding. When production mode is not activated, our readings are correct and very stable.

Attachment 1 'Moxa1' is a screenshot of the jumping we trended in Studio 5000.

The original way these TCs were read was by a Eurotherm controller. This controller oversaw temperature control as well as transmitted the temperature to an Allen Bradley SLC500 controller through Modbus.

We believe there is some type of noise interfering with our readings that we just cannot seem to remove. We have gone through multiple tests to try to remove this noise with no luck. Because we could not find a solution to this problem in a timely manner, we rewired the TCs to the Eurotherm controllers to see if they were jumping. The readings are perfect and rock solid when production mode was active. The line is running using the Eurotherms right now to allow us to continue testing and continue making product.

The TC wire is just 2 solid wires covered in a plastic sheath. The TC wire is running through conduit with 120VAC and some shielded analog wire. At a certain point this conduit goes to a junction box where the TC wire again goes through another piece of conduit where it is introduced to 480VAC. That 480VAC powers the cutter motor.

The Allen Bradley CompactLogix and the Moxa Modules are powered with 24VDC. There is a total of 5 devices on the 24VDC PS. 3 Moxa Analog Input modules, 1 Moxa TC module, and 1 CompactLogix.
Attachment 2 'Moxa2' is a photo of the CompactLogix and the Moxa modules.

Our first test we attempted was putting a UPS between the 120VAC powering the 24VDC power supply to power the Moxas and CompactLogix.

Our second test was powering just the Moxa TC module with a different 24VDC power supply and the UPS.

Our third test was to try running twisted-shielded TC extension wire through the conduit and connecting the TC to it to see if it would remove the noise.
Each test has failed, and we have run out of ideas.

There is a total of 5 lines with this process at the end of each line in the plant. I am going to attempt testing all lines and see if it is common throughout or if it is secluded to just one line.

We have been in contact with Moxa and awaiting answers.

Would anyone have any additional thoughts as to what could be causing this or what we could test next? I hope my explanation of the issue painted a decent picture, but please ask me any questions if something doesn't make sense.

You have identified the cutter (Pelletizer) aa the source of noise.

Why Moxa? If AB PLC why not AB thermocouple inputs?

If signal conditioner is required, locate within short distance of TC.

If pelletizer is VFD, apply line and load reactor and EMF ferrite chokes per VFD OEM instructions.

If using now PLC based PID. Use P and I only, do not use D. The Derivative term is the one hyper-sensitive to vertical noise on the PV.

If your boss wants you to solve this solely via programming with no hardware change, FIFO about 30 samples of PV at 1/2 second intervals, and average the samples to feed to you PID.

Extrusion is a pretty slow process as far as temperature control, due to the thermal lag in heating or cooling delays due to mechanical properties of the barrel thickness.