Beginner PLC: Configure Ethernet/IP Connection

luisarcher

I am really new to PLCs programming, connecting, etc.
I received a 1756-L72 ControlLogix with a Logix5572 Processor and an EthernetIP card. My goal here is to connect it to my laptop along with another device (a Bar Code Reader). Both devices are connected to an unmanaged ethernet switch which is then connected to my ethernet port on my laptop.

Now, the problem is that all my Rockwell Softwares are on a VM and also, I do not have administrator rights on the OS. Therefore, I need to connect all those devices to the VM on my laptop and it does not seem to work.
My ethernet IP on the VM is 192.168.198.128 while my PLC is 192.168.0.205. I know I have to get the 3 first equal but I don't know how to change my PLC IP address (since I do not have admin rights in my OS, I cannot change the IP from the host). I tried this website steps but it did not work. I know it does not work since when I configure the Ethernet/IP driver on RSLinx, my PLC is not appearing, even if I set it to browse Remote Subnet

http://www.buckles-smith.com/Tech-Blog/how-to-connect-to-allen-bradley-ethernet-enabled-devices

I know it might not be clear, so I'm available to answer any questions you guys have.

Thanks a lot,
luisarcher

Welcome to the Forum!

There is no way around this issue if you do not have administrative credentials for the Host PC; the Host's NIC or any eventual USB-to-Ethernet adapters will need to be addressed on the same subnet as the ControLogix 1756-ENBT module and the BCR.

Contact an Administrator of the Host machine and request the change to be performed by someone authorized to do so.

So a couple things.....

What software are you using for the VMs? VMware Workstation or Player, Virtualbox, Hyper-V?

Are you able to open a Command Prompt window and ping the EtherNet/IP module?

OG

Admin rights are going to take a while since I'm just an intern...
I was trying to find another solution while waiting. :cry:

So a couple things.....

What software are you using for the VMs? VMware Workstation or Player, Virtualbox, Hyper-V?

Are you able to open a Command Prompt window and ping the EtherNet/IP module?

OG

For the VM, I'm using VMware Workstation 12 Player and running a virtual machine my superiour gave me.

I tried pinging the PLC but no response. For the module, I'm have not yet created one since I'm trying to make the PLC appear on RSLinx.

The thing is I'm able to ping my code bar reader from my host PC but not from the VM. I tried putting the VM on NAT and Bridged connection but it still did not work.

So the issue with Player is that it uses NAT addressing. So your VM is being assigned an IP address in a different subnet that what your PLC is using. That is why your VM is getting an IP address of 192.168.198.128. That is fine. Make no attempts to change that.

With NAT the computer is acting like a router. It will route data from that subnet out onto the subnet containing the PLC.

But, since you cannot ping the EtherNet/IP address that tells us that something is affecting that routing. Potentially it is attempting to route to the wrong adapter on your PC.

So the next thing to try is to disconnect from any other networks you might be connected to. If you are making a connection to the PLC using your wired Ethernet on your PC then disconnect or disable the wireless connection. Likewise, if you are connecting through your wireless then disconnect any physical cables.

We have to get ping to work before we even bother with RSLinx. See if doing that allows you to ping the PLC.

OG

PS Can you identify what IP address the host computer is using (not the VM)?

Last edited:
We have to get ping to work before we even bother with RSLinx. See if doing that allows you to ping the PLC.

OG

PS Can you identify what IP address the host computer is using (not the VM)?

Thanks for the answer, I realized soon enough RSLinx was the least of my problems :ROFLMAO:

The address of my Ethernet driver of my host computer is 169.254.118.13.

Just FYI, I changed my VM to Bridged mode, changed the IP to match the PLC ones along with subnet (192.168.0.205 / 255.255.255.0) and actually succeeded to ping it and it is now shown in RSLinx. The only problem with that is that I loose my connection to the intranet of the company and therefore, loose access to my licence of RSLogix 5000. I have a workaround so I don't mind it BUT I'm thinking and I see a new problem:
Since I have to also connect a BarCode Reader to the mini-network (which is PLC, VM, BarCode), how is my VM supposed to see the BarCode if it is not the same subnet ?

..........Just FYI, I changed my VM to Bridged mode, changed the IP to match the PLC ones along with subnet (192.168.0.205 / 255.255.255.0) and actually succeeded to ping it and it is now shown in RSLinx.

Perfect. Usually with Player that isn't an option so I'm glad you were able to do that. It is the easiest solution

....The only problem with that is that I loose my connection to the intranet of the company and therefore, loose access to my licence of RSLogix 5000. I have a workaround so I don't mind it...

If the licenses are on a network server and you disconnect, then yes, you will lose your license. Perhaps you could look into "Borrowing" a license. That allows you to keep that license while you are disconnected. That might be a little more complicated and you might need some assistance on how to do that if you've never done it before.

.....BUT I'm thinking and I see a new problem:
Since I have to also connect a BarCode Reader to the mini-network (which is PLC, VM, BarCode), how is my VM supposed to see the BarCode if it is not the same subnet ?

Your barcode device needs to be on the same subnet as your computer and VM if they are to see each other. Otherwise a router is required to route data from one subnet to another.

OG

[If the licenses are on a network server and you disconnect, then yes, you will lose your license. Perhaps you could look into "Borrowing" a license. That allows you to keep that license while you are disconnected. That might be a little more complicated and you might need some assistance on how to do that if you've never done it before.[/quote]

The software will run for 5 day after the license is removed. More that enough time to do your work.

Your barcode device needs to be on the same subnet as your computer and VM if they are to see each other. Otherwise a router is required to route data from one subnet to another.

OG

Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to change its IP address. But thanks for the help guys, really nice.