VFD controls

Rson

So, I have a customer with a VFD system - pretty simple single VFD (Emerson) - and he wants us to just send direct signals from the PLC output to the VFD drive. (VFD is in another room)

I've always used interposing relays with the VFD's control power to drive VFD I/O - it is just how things were done everywhere I have been.

Are there any disadvantages you have seen to using a sourcing output from a PLC into a VFD's digital input? Shouldn't I isolate these signals somehow?

You will need to check the drive data but these inputs are sometimes already isolated through opto-isolators. If all the inputs come from one source the input common simply becomes the source common and the inputs go straight in. It just gets tricky when you are tying together commons from multiple sources.

Keith

Nothing wrong with using the PLC's 24V instead of the drive's. Much easier to do multiple drives that way.

we always use a contact closure to start / stop the drive.
you should also use an operator start/stop/estop at the drive.
you will need a disconnect at the drive since the drive is in another room.

what is the vfd voltage and the distance from the drive to the motor?
you may need to include line and load reactors.

james