Scalance Switch Profinet Device Name

Automaquest

I found two Siemens Scalance switches on the network using the same IP address (problem). Turns out they were configured as Profinet devices with the same device name in TIA portal in two separate projects. So I made them unique and reassigned IP's correctly. But I cannot imagine how the one switch got "downloaded" with the incorrect I/P address. Seems starting a PLC caused it to go out and reconnect (and "correct") the configuration of the wrong switch due to duplicate device names?

More or less, yeah. If a profinet device has a device name, it takes whatever IP it is given from the PLC. MY guess is that on one startup the PLC found one, and after a power cycle it found the other first, and then they both had the same config from the same PLC.

Static

They are setup static within the TIA Portal project configuration. It appears that the Profinet device name took precedence and overwrote the IP of one project from the PLC into the scalance switch associated with the other project's PLC.