Need help: Keyspan to RS232 cable to AB 5/04

Russ

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've tried connecting with a serial cable through keyspan and am having no luck.

The keyspan assistant says that it's com4. I've tried various configurations in keyspan and have had no luck. Here's what I've changed:

Endpoints: both bulk, and compatible
FIFO: from None to 60.

I've tried various combinations of endpoint and FIFO, but haven't had any success.
The manual has helped some, but I haven't found a resolution.

Each time I try a slightly different configuration I run the 'auto configure' in linx (RS-232 DF1). Every time I get the same message; 'Failed to find the baud rate and parity! Check all cables and switch settings!'

With linx configured to the 'proper' channel one configs, and set to the com port specified by the keyspan adapter, I opened up the line monitor (keyspan). The data is repeating:
GetStatus 2A 500
GetStatus 2A 100
TX: (gibberish) (this line is always in red).

So... I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Are you using a null modem cable between the Keyspan and your SLC serial port.
Are you sure the SLC serial port is configured as DF1 and not DH485.

I've always had good luck with the Keyspan ...

and as Mickey said, the cable between the Keyspan and the SLC should be 2-to-3 ... 3-to-2 ... 5-to-5 ...

and are you sure that the SLC's port is set up as "System" and not as "User"? ...

regardless of what the "assistant" says, try going through the various COM ports one-by-one and doing the "autoconfigure" step ...

do you have an offline copy of the .RSS file available? ... if so, what settings are shown for the SLC's Channel 0? ... there's no guarantee that the processor's current settings still match those shown in the offline file - but it's a good "start here" point to try first ...

if DH-485 is shown for Channel 0, try using the "PIC" driver to communicate ... note that you'll still be using the Keyspan to make the physical connection - but the "PIC" driver will "speak-the-language" of DH-485 ... the DF1 driver can't do this "language translation" step ...

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Quick replies:
Cables.. I picked up a new cable at Radio Shack, and grabbed one of my trusty cables that I've used before to connect serially to Slcs. Neither Worked. :(

Linx Configs: I went to 'Add' RS-232 DF1 device. It has the option of using a modem at the bottom part of the screen (I actually use another df1 config with the laptop modem to call into this same unit). But... it was interesting.. even after I did that.. depending upon whether I picked plc-channel zero, or slc/panelview/micrologix(or whatever that option says lol).. it would say in the 'who is active screen' DH+ or DH485 depending upon if i had selected plc or slc (not that it has ever mattered when using a modem)...
I went through a bunch of comms.. and nothing... BUT.. when I tried to use the modem.. it wouldn't work.. I had to reboot.. then it worked fine. ???
Once I had connected to the unit via modem I hooked up keyspan and tried to communicate with another slc 5/04. but.. the keyspan wouldn't even turn on.. the adapter wouldn't recognize it being connected, and I couldn't get anywhere in linx.

Luckily I've been communicating with this slc for 4+ years.. and was able to call into it using the modem. That's also how I was able to set up the DF1.. I have a bunch of offline saved versions of the program.

But.. I'm still stumped as to why I couldn't communicate...

Hopefully this helps answer some of the questions.. sorry for the short post. I was on site and was pulling out my hair trying to get connected.. lol..

I don't use a Keyspan, I have an Aten brand. It is plug and play, it did
take a high com port number when I first plugged it in but was able to go
to device manager and change the port number to com 2. Now every time I
plug it in the same USB port it takes com 2. Autoconfig also works with
all AB stuff.
Maybe the Keyspan users will weigh in and help here.

As Ron said, if you can post your RSS file someone might spot something.

Mickey said:
I don't use a Keyspan, I have an Aten brand. It is plug and play, it did
take a high com port number when I first plugged it in but was able to go
to device manager and change the port number to com 2. Now every time I
plug it in the same USB port it takes com 2. Autoconfig also works with
all AB stuff.
Maybe the Keyspan users will weigh in and help here.

The keyspan assistant program indicated that there were two com ports being used; 3(for the modem), and 4(for keyspan device).
Once I'd make an adjustment in keyspan config screen, I would try to connect with linx by attempting the DF1 by autoconfig. If that way failed I would also set the params to the slc's channel 0 configs without trying autoconfig. Neither was succesful.

Mickey said:
As Ron said, if you can post your RSS file someone might spot something.

Attached is the file. The slc controls a regenerative thermal oxidizer. I replaced a bad output card, and wanted to remove my 'bandaid' logic. It was a minor adjustment, but one I wanted to make. (O:13/1 went bad, O:13/5 was the temp fix).
The logic attached still has the 'bandaid' in place. The laptop has the updated version from today. I connected through the modem and made the necessary change.
I used logix 500 version 7.00.

I'm not sure what I missed, but I missed something. One thing that is interesting is the laptop modem. After I had failed to connect to the slc serially, I tried connecting to another unit with the modem. But I was unable to even initiate a call out. Linx would say that there was an error trying to initiate the modem even though I had it configured to the right com port. I even tried different ports, thinking that keyspan could be wrong. Once I rebooted the laptop the modem worked fine.
Later on WHILE I WAS CONNECTED to the slc through the modem and I tried to connect serially to another slc (same channel 0 configs on this slc as well). The laptop wouldn't even acknowledge that I had connected the keyspan. I tried running the keyspan assistant and it failed to locate the device. I unplugged it a number of times and when I reconnected the keyspan to the laptop it still couldn't see the device.

The keyspan I have is USA 19QW I believe. I downloaded the driver that matched the model number. So I doubt it's a driver error. I'm stumped.

Laptop is an HP DV2125nr. It's less than a month old.

The keyspan that most people here say they have is the 19HS
see link.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/

Note settings for protocol Control:

Your Settings:

Yoursettings.jpg

Default Settings:

defaultsettings.jpg

More info;
I don't have a SLC5/04. but I do have a ML1500. I changed Ch 0 to match
your settings,after I applied the change I lost comm. as expected. I then
went back to RSLinx and did an autoconfigure and it worked just fine. I was able to get back online with Ch 0 with the setting you have.( no modem
just USB to serial adapter with null modem cable). I know this doesn't help but it does point to the Keyspan you have.

Thanks Mickey,
My gut feeling is that the keyspan isn't allowing linx to communicate with the slc. I might go pick up a null modem cable, but I'm almost 100% certain that my 'trusty' cable is a null modem, since I've communicated with slcs on it before.
I didn't realize there were different models of keyspan out, and just went to ebay and picked one up.
The reason channel 0 is configured to 9600 baud is for consistency, and some have said for slightly better reliability (but I'm not certain about that myself). The BCC is also because most other units have been configured as well.
Linx's autoconfigure works really well. I used it when I was demonstrating how to connect to these units during a training class (a year, or two ago). lol..
I did the 'internal' loop back test with the keyspan and it said it was fine, but I don't have the 'hardware' to do an external loop back test.

Test your cable/keyspan by connecting to another PC with a real Serial Port. (Connect your Keyspan USB to the cable, and the other end of the null modem cable to the PC. Open Hyperterminal in both PC's, and set them for default, but bump up the baud rate to 9600. Click on CONNECT in one PC, and start typing. You should see the typing appearing on the other PC.
This will verify your USB-Serial connection. Crude, but it works.

I have another model of Keyspan at home ... I'll try to duplicate your tests tonight and post the results if anything interesting pops up ...

used Keyspan 19HS with SLC5/03, /04 all Micrologix, RSLinx Classic.
worked perfect from the very first time.
so follow SNK's advice and test your adapter/cable with another computer.
you might be in bad luck with a broken adapter

Thanks guys,
I'll try to communicate to my desktop from the laptop this evening. It will be an interesting test.
I looked at the link that showed RS tested the USA-19QW. The link indicated that this model works for both windows 98, and windows 2000. However there was no mention of XP.

But.. this evening I'll know for sure.

Thanks...

Quick update: It was the keyspan. I went to the local CompUsa (45 minutes away lol).. and picked up another keyspan unit ($40). It was a lot cheaper than Allen Bradley's version ($129).
It's working great. Thanks everyone for the help.

Now if I can only get Norton to quit deleting logix's msi file I'll be happy. lol..