RS232 Cable lenght

miketrek

Hello, all
I wanted to throw this out here, I have a mirclogix 1000 and I want to add a panel view to the system, however I need about 60 feet away from the controller. I am using the RS232. The panelview might be a 300micro or a 900. The micro has a different pin layout, then the comm port however both my options use rs232, which I am max at like 10feet. I tried looking up some info on it, but get really get an answer. The question is: how can I get the cable to go longer then 10 feet?
ANYONE?
Thanks
MIKE

Your going to have to make your own. The book says 50 ft for RS232. But I have installed lengths up to 150 ft without problems( good wire in its own conduit). 60 ft should not be an issue.

The PV300 micro uses a null-modem cable, the PV900(standard) uses a straight thru cable.

As Mickey says the distance is not an issue, I have used up to 300 ft. using just shielded cable I think you should try to keep tha baud rate a little lower though, perhaps 9600, I don't think you will see any difference in screen updates at lower rate.
Make sure you don't create a ground loop
Roy

Hey there
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was planning to make my own, so I will do some trials and see what happens.
Thanks

Keep in mind that RS232 runs on +/-15V max and that if the MARK voltage drops under/over +/-3V the reciever won't recognize it.
And ofcourse don't place the cable next to a powercable or anything else that can cause noise.

> Keep in mind that RS232 runs on +/-15V

Or not, depending on the hardware. A lot of so-called RS232 ports just double up 5V to get their supply, and end up with something less than +/-10V. That said, and as others have commented, you can run ridiculous distances relative to the spec without problems.