.cli file vs .mer file

BuddyLee303

I am very new to the PLC world and specifically FTVSE. I have some familiarity with Machine Edition so I understand how one would obtain a .apa file from a .mer file.

From poking around I understand that you cannot obtain a .apa file from a .cli file in Site Edition like you can obtain a .apa file from a .mer file in Machine Edition.

I need to obtain backups of the .cli file that is running on the Site Edition machines at a remote site and bring them back to the office with me. What is the best way to go about that, and what would I need to know to obtain whichever file I would want to keep to be able to access the file using FTVSE at a later date on a controls laptop? Do I just go to where the .apa file is located, or do I go to where the .cli file is and make a copy? I have tried making a copy of the .apa file and could not open this file on a different controls laptop that had an SE license.

I do understand that these files are located in different locations on the SE Windows operating system.

Can one launch a .cli file on another laptop or computer that has an active FTVSE license?

Welcome to the forum!

I think you need to read up a little on the difference between the FTView SE editions - specifically, the difference between Network Distributed and everything else.

Short answer: in a Network Distributed application, the Server (or Servers) hold all the files required to run the SCADA setup, but it's not an .mer or .apa file - or any other nice neat file. The .cli file is a very basic file that just tells the client where to find the server, what displays to call at start up, what parameters to call them with, and so on. It contains no information about the displays themselves at all.

I think you've got some "light" reading ahead of you! :)