You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM   #1
CheezMan1
United States

Old Toshiba ex40 handheld programmer

I am looking for the user manual for the Toshiba EX20404PRG LCD handheld programmer. Used with the EX40 PLC. Please Help
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2
jrwb4gbm
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Right Click on this link, then click "Save Target as" button. Caution: Large file 13 Meg's.
Link:
http://www.toshiba.com/ind/data/tag_...Manual_506.pdf

The LCD Programmer info is in this manual.

Edit:

These programmers will do the job but are a real pain! You can program these plc's with a computer if you are somewhat fimiliar with using DOS type (keyboard) commands. If you need more help, just send me a PM with an email address, I have a lot of information available. By the way, the Cutler Hammer D100 PLC is almost the same as the EX40 Toshiba series.
Also, see this thread for more information:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=50546

Last edited by jrwb4gbm; July 22nd, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old January 16th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #3
tiny
United Kingdom

Thanks for posting the link, but unfortunately, it looks like Toshiba has removed all of the EX40 related material from their site. I had alreay tried the link as I found it in an earlier post - hence the reason for requesting a copy.

I also have the pdd programmer but need to get/make the 422 to 232 converter.

Tony
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #4
jrwb4gbm
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
Thanks for posting the link, but unfortunately, it looks like Toshiba has removed all of the EX40 related material from their site. I had alreay tried the link as I found it in an earlier post - hence the reason for requesting a copy.

I also have the pdd programmer but need to get/make the 422 to 232 converter.

Tony
I have a copy of the manual and will upload it to a file server. I will send you a link by Private Message. Also the other link to a thread in post #2
(the link below)
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=50546
shows info on how to build a converter.
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #5
tiny
United Kingdom

Thanks very much indeed!

I already have the circuit and other cable details from the link - thanks.

Tony
Old January 16th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #6
jrwb4gbm
United States

Check your PM's for links to uploads.
Old January 18th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Pablox
United Kingdom

Could you send me a link too m8.
We have an old Toshiba at work an EX 20, I think.
There is a handheld programmer in a drawer, which I hope never to use, but maybe some day, I might need a manual.
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Pablox
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwb4gbm View Post
Check your PM's for links to uploads.
Thanks m8.
Old July 15th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #9
fixit9660
United Kingdom

Hi. I'm trying to help out a friend with an ailing EX40 Plus and EX20 Expansion. I've got the User Manual, and RS232 - 422 adapter diagram, (thank you, the links still work) but I'd like to get hold of the laptop software too if possible. Are you able to help please?
Best regards
Andy.
Old July 15th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #10
jrwb4gbm
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit9660 View Post
Hi. I'm trying to help out a friend with an ailing EX40 Plus and EX20 Expansion. I've got the User Manual, and RS232 - 422 adapter diagram, (thank you, the links still work) but I'd like to get hold of the laptop software too if possible. Are you able to help please?
Best regards
Andy.
I'm glad to see someone is still interested in this old PLC. Check your Private messages.
Old July 15th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #11
jaden
United States

Coincidentally, I was trying to check some old Cutler Hammer D100's I have laying around. I have the factory serial converter and D100 software and manual. However, using an XP laptop and USB serial adapter, I could not log in to the PLC.
Old July 15th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #12
jrwb4gbm
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaden View Post
Coincidentally, I was trying to check some old Cutler Hammer D100's I have laying around. I have the factory serial converter and D100 software and manual. However, using an XP laptop and USB serial adapter, I could not log in to the PLC.
I have never had any success using a USB serial adapter except on some RSLogix software and a SLC500 PLC. I believe it was a Keyspan 19HS or something like that. Other adapters would not work at all. Maybe you can try using some DOS to USB software ahead of the DOS software, might work. I'm thinking DOS2USB software or maybe DOSBOX. I personally just kept some old computers around with real RS232 serial ports and Win98. WinXP might work. If you need help testing them, let me know. Good luck.

Edit:
If you have an original hard copy of the D100 manual please make a .pdf version of it by scanning the pages and printing it with something similar to CutePDF Writer. If it is too large to upload here, maybe you could upload it to a fileserver like Zippyshare and PM me a link. I lost mine and only have a .pdf of the EX40 manual.
Thanks.

Last edited by jrwb4gbm; July 15th, 2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old July 15th, 2017, 09:44 PM   #13
jaden
United States

I have used this USB adapter(From Auto Direct) on numerous PLC's with no problems. However, I may have an old computer with a real serial port to try.
I will work on the Manual.
Old July 16th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #14
fixit9660
United Kingdom

Don't knock Serial Ports; they're only just starting to be phased out on ALL commercial network equipment. It was a major headache for our very large IT department a few years ago when they went to replace everyone's laptops. There was a huge outcry from all the network engineers (and other related teams) as the latest laptops came without Serial interfaces and the USB Adapters they proposed for us to use were garbage. For example when you tried to remove the cable from the adapter, it pulled the whole adapter out of the laptop and it promptly crashed!
The screen size wasn't terrific either and when you're trying to read a screen full of CLI output it was hard on the eyes.
Long live the RS232 port!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum