directsoft 5 - how do I address analog I/O??

gr8benwa

Hi I am making some programming changes to a machine for a client who is using an automation direct dl 06 PLC and ea9-6xx HMI. Ive added a new analog card which is a combo 4 input/4 output. How do I address the analog I/O in the logic?

For example, I understand X0 is the first input terminal on an input card and Y0 is the first output on an output card

But what is the address for analog input 1,
input 2, input 3, input 4
and on same card
analog output 1,
output 2 , output 3, output 4.

Im sure that this is done through the V memory- but how do I assign a Vmemory to a specific I/O?
If I write V2000 how does that get data input from analog input terminal 1 or analog output terminal 3???? without an address??????
confused... thanks for any advice

Its been a while but researching jogged my memory

What module are using, just out of curiosity

You have special V memory location for your slots 1-4

V700-V707 Sets the V-memory location for option card in slot 1
V710-V717 Sets the V-memory location for option card in slot 2
V720-V727 Sets the V-memory location for option card in slot 3
V730-V737 Sets the V-memory location for option card in slot 4

This is further broken down to :
Slot No. 1 2 3 4
No. of Channels V700 V710 V720 V730
Input Pointer V701 V711 V721 V731
Output Pointer V702 V712 V722 V732

You will need a program similar to the one found in
https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d0optionsm/ch11.pdf
on Page 11

SP0
LD K402
Loads a constant that specifies the number of channels to scan and the
data format. The upper byte selects the input data format (i.e. 0=BCD,
8=Binary) and the number of input channels (set to 4). The lower byte
selects the output data format (i.e. 0=BCD, 8=Binary) and the number
of output channels (set to 2).

OUT V710
Special V-memory location, V710, assigned to the option slot
contains the data format and the number of channels to scan.
Loads a constant that specifies the number of channels to scan and the
data format. The upper byte selects the input data format (i.e. 0=BCD,
8=Binary) and the number of input channels (set to 4). The lower byte
selects the output data format (i.e. 0=BCD, 8=Binary) and the number
of output channels (set to 2).

LDA O2000
This loads an octal value for the first V-memory location that will be used
to store the incoming data. For example, the O2000 entered here would
designate the following addresses:
Ch1 – V2000, Ch2 – V2001, Ch3 – V2002, Ch4 – V2003

OUT V711
The octal address (O2000) is stored here. V711 is assigned to the
option slot and acts as a pointer, which means the CPU will use the
octal value in this location to determine exactly where to store the
incoming data.

LDA O2010
This loads an octal value for the first V-memory location that will be used
to store the output data. For example, the O2010 entered here would
designate the following addresses:
Ch1 – V2010, Ch2 – V2011

OUT V712
The octal address (O2010) is stored here. V712 is assigned to the
option slot and acts as a pointer, which means the CPU will use the
octal value in this location to determine exactly where to get the output
data

This will be used to assign address to your card channels, almost like aliases or pointers. In the example shown V2000 is used for the 4 input channels the channels automatically cascade down
V2000 = Ch1
V2001 = Ch2
V2003 = Ch3
V2004 = Ch4

and
V2010 is used for 2 outputs
V2010=Ch1
V2011=Ch2

hopes this helps

Last edited:
Labeledas is correct. If you are new to the DirectSoft, the easiest way is to find the card you installed and it will show examples in the manual to set up your addresses. You just put it at the beginning of the program with an SP0 contact so it sets it up on first scan only. You can substitute whatever register you want (for example, if the manual shows OUT to V2100 but you are using V2100, you can assign V2300 or whatever isn't being used) but the examples they show are helpful. https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d0optionsm/d0optionsm.html

Thanks

Good info. Still a little confused but I'm going to play with file this weekend and I'm sure the above comments will come in handy. I've been using the software to troubleshoot machines and make changes for a couple years but just never had any analog issues to trouble shoot or add modules so I finally got hit.Lol.
Next question:
Before I build all the HMI screens and add all the tags to the respective analog I/O data, is there a way to test or better yet see the 4-20mA data in direct soft.
For example:
When I create a timer, I can Visually see the time count up. I know its working, I see the numeric value changing.

So Imagine
If I assigned analog input channel 3 correctly and my dmm has measured the analog device's output to be 20mA, can I create instructions that references the ch 3 in the ladder and visually shows the numeric data?

I'd like to write the ladder and test that logic on site connected to the machine and then be confident in building the various screens knowing that all the tags I create reference theactual 4-20mA data. Otherwise I could be creating a bunch of bogus tags that I will have to scrap and rework. Also I'd look kinda silly in front of the client if its a bust.

Anyway I love this forum and appreciate the help.

Last edited:
You can see the analog variable in DirectSoft but it will show up as a number in the range of the card 0-4095 if it's 12 bit or 0-65536 if it's 16 bit. Don't know which card you are using. Not directly as 4-20ma. You would have to scale it.