Factory talk view studio communicating with monico module via RSlinx Enterprise

MAYOWA FEMI

Hi,

I am trying to read data values from CAT generator via monico(redlion) module to be displayed on factory talk view studio via RSlinx enterprise through ethernet protocol. Already i can ping the ip adress of the monico module but i am not seeing it on RSlinx enterprise tree of the factory talk. I used a RSlinx classic gateway to check the ip address of the monico, which i can see on the network but highlighted in yellow question mark (EDS file missing). Please how can i know the EDS file of the monico module? or how can i configure a driver that will read monico data on factory talk view studio via RSlinx enterprise?

Thanks

I didn't know that Red Lion sold their product private-label like that. The picture and the associated modules means that it's their "Modular Controller".

You probably will not get RSLinx Enterprise to "browse" the controller as though it was an A-B PLC.

So instead you need to manually create an SLC-5/05 controller in the RSLinx Enterprise schema by right-clicking and adding a module manually.

Which driver have you configured for the Ethernet network port in Crimson 3.0 ?

I didn't know that Red Lion sold their product private-label like that. The picture and the associated modules means that it's their "Modular Controller".

You probably will not get RSLinx Enterprise to "browse" the controller as though it was an A-B PLC.

So instead you need to manually create an SLC-5/05 controller in the RSLinx Enterprise schema by right-clicking and adding a module manually.

Which driver have you configured for the Ethernet network port in Crimson 3.0 ?

Thanks ken, the driver configured is Allen-Bradley Native Tags via L5K file on Monico view II not on crimson. My concern is that monico controller can not be found in the RSlinx enterprise schema.

"Monico View II" must be their private-label version of Red Lion Crimson 3. Even the User Manual says it was written by the principal executives/lead engineers at Red Lion, and it's word-for-word identical to the Crimson 3 User Manual except for the copyright notices and front cover.

In general, the Allen-Bradley Native Tags driver is used when you want the RedLion/Monico device to initiate communications with an A-B PLC, not when you want it to emulate an A-B PLC to respond to communication requests from an HMI.

I don't think that a RedLion/Monico device will emulate a ControlLogix family controller by responding to the network browse ("List Identity") command that makes it appear in the RSLinx Enterprise schema, or that it will respond to requests from RSLinx Enterprise for Tag Names.

In fact, I'm not sure there is a way to make a Red Lion/Monico device respond to read/write commands from RSLinx Enterprise at all. The only "slave" protocols available that relate to ControlLogix are the DF1 Slave and EtherNet/IP Adapter. RSLinx Enterprise cannot read/write either one of those.

What is your goal with this project; are you communicating with a PanelView Plus, or with a FactoryTalk View SE desktop HMI, or something else ?

I used the Monico J1939 converter with Siemens S7 PLCs and it was configured for us by Monico to write the J1939 Cat engine data to a specific datatable in the PLC. You may need to set it up that way for your project.

to a specific datatable in the PLC

The device can definitely do that. I just don't think it is capable of being read directly from a PanelView Plus or other RSLinx Enterprise device.

If the data from the Monico/Red Lion gateway is being written to a ControlLogix, then it's straightforward for FactoryTalk View to read the data out of the ControlLogix.

One workaround would be to set up the FactoryTalk application to use a different driver or protocol, like RSLinx Classic (which can talk to the "DF1 Slave" driver on TCP Port 2222) or KepServer Enterprise (probably with Modbus/TCP).

The device can definitely do that. I just don't think it is capable of being read directly from a PanelView Plus or other RSLinx Enterprise device.

If the data from the Monico/Red Lion gateway is being written to a ControlLogix, then it's straightforward for FactoryTalk View to read the data out of the ControlLogix.

One workaround would be to set up the FactoryTalk application to use a different driver or protocol, like RSLinx Classic (which can talk to the "DF1 Slave" driver on TCP Port 2222) or KepServer Enterprise (probably with Modbus/TCP).

Yes, I agree. I would think you would want the data in the PLC. We had to have it there because we were controlling the transmission based on the engine data and other measurements also.

Thanks Ken, my aim is to communicate with factory talk view, actually to monitor data values from CAT generator using monico as a gateway