Error connecting ABB AC500 PLC to Beckhoff Drive AX5103 via EtherCAT - Error F4A5

matt_sd

Hi guys anyone had this before?

Latest AX5103-xxxx-0011 xml files from Beckhoff's site added in the device repository using ABB's Automation Builder. Drive latest firmware. The drive is in Init as soon as the PLC is put in Run, the drive goes to PreOp with error F4A5. This is a SoE comms parameter error. I have check all the startus parameters and everything correct.

Also tried a Beckhoff CX1020 PLC communicating to this Beckhoff drive and works without problem. I am in communications with ABB and Beckhoff but no solution so far. Another seen this or recommend anything to try?

Thanks

Which PLC are you using? I recollect I have seen this issue. I will look through my emails to see. Not sure how you plan on controlling the drive, since ABB doesn't support SoftMotion.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm using the ABB PM591 PLC processor with the CM579 EtherCat comms card.
Regarding controlling the drive, we have done this previously with a ABB drive using the ABB motion control library (PS552) running in this PLC, the program output sends the velocity to the drive (and control word for starting) with position and status word feedback).
Its annoying how I am not be able to communicate ABB to Beckhoff AX5301 drive via EtherCat, I have checked all the settings and they are the same, have the latest xml file from Beckhoffs site and drive works if use a Beckhoff PLC, just this one error with the ABB PLC.. Got to be something simple - as always

Really would appreciate if you do have any details on this fault.

Thanks Matt

You are bringing back some painful memories of a 5-axis system I did using a PM590 and ACSM1 drives. Lots of issues. Got most of them worked out and the system has worked flawlessly for more than 2 years. The ABB EtherCAT master does not play well with non-ABB drives. You will not be able to use any of the MC motion function blocks. I know for sure that I had an issue with a device being stuck in Pre-Operational state, but so far have not found any documentation. I will keep looking.