Interlocking Comms on Logix Systems

Tim Ganz

I have 2 Logix based systems that I need to Interlock together and read and write data in both directions.

In the compact Logix system I have the 1756-EN2T tocompact Logix IO tree and in the control logix system I have the built in ethernet port of the 1769 controller in the IO tree.

The name for the adaptor is different than whats in the name location of the adaptor itself but that looks more like its for use by the user and I don't think it being different would prevent comms would it?

Getting Code 16#0204 connection request timed out and device has yellow triangle.

Also the RPI says 0ms?
It does not seem that you can delete and re add these while the system is running.

I can,t post them in public but could share the programs with anyone interested in taking a look

Also in the tag editoe there is an input tag and an output tag and in the data type field it has 1756-EN2T.Input etc?

Anyone have a clue?

The names of the devices on the tree don't mean anything as long as the addresses are correct. They are only used as targets for communication paths. You cannot change/create produce consume tags on a running system.

How are you trying to communicate between the PLCs. Messages or produce/consume tags.

Normally for that sort of comms you would use produce/consume tags.

Produce tags are published at each plc. consumed tags are the same structure as the produced tag and are used to pull the data from the other PLC at your requested rpi.

The data exchange is automagic. If you add a CONNECTION_STATUS type tag in your structure the processor will even tell you if its working.

It sounds like you are trying to add a tag that points to the IO on another PLC.

Short version check out the help on produce/consume tags.

Error Code 16#0204 = Connection Request Error: Connection request timed out.

Reason: The PLC can’t locate the Drive at the given IP Address.
Things to check:
□ Check to make sure DHCP is disabled if a Static IP Address is being programmed in the
drive.
□ Check the programming of the IP address of the Drive and Subnet. Check the
programming of the IP Address in the PLC for the drive.
□ Try to ping the drives IP address via a PC connected to the same network.
□ Locate and correct the IP address problem.
□ Check network wiring.

This stuff mentions drives, but it goes for any connection. Your PLC's aren't seeing each other.

I would definitely use produced/consumed tags over messaging. Unless you have some unusual requirements, it'll be faster, easier, and more robust.

Last edited:
When trying to create a new produce consume Tag I don’t have the option of produce or consume under type. It’s an L61 running version 20.

But trying to follow several YouTube videos on how to do it I don’t have the option when creating a new tag or trying to modify an existing tag?

You must be online, right? You can only create them when you're offline.

Then you should be able to select Prod or Cons in the Tag Type dropdown menu.

I attached the Rockwell manual on P/C tags for you.

Bill.

Last edited:
Tim,

Let me tell you a couple of other things that might help:

Let's say you just need to share data between two machines going both ways. And to keep it simple let's say that you'll just share a DINT.

So each machine is going to have a produced tag and a consumed tag. In machine A they'll be "Data_To_B" and "Data_From_B", and likewise in machine B.

And the data types MUST be the same between the P/C'd tags, so if the Produced tag is a DINT then so must be the Consumed tag in the other machine.

As someone pointed out, if you build a udt to use as your tag structure, then you can put Connection_Status as the first element and you'll get real time info on the link status.

The pdf I uploaded has all this info in it so take a look and ask questions.

Bill