Newbie-Need Help w latch/unlatch or flip/flop?

neluxu

Hi all,
my first post here, I've been lurking for a while.
I'm a beginner and I hit a wall on one of my first projects I'm working on.
I know it must be an easy solution and I'm overthinking it.

The project is a combining gate, I have bottles coming on two separate conveyors combined into one. sounds simple enough, but... there's always something.
Everything works fine but when both infeed lanes are backed up, my gate will not swing from one side to another, because by the time there's demand on the single lane, the ready condition on the same infeed lane is satisfied and the cycle repeats itself, with the other lane backing up.
Please see the attached sketch for a better understanding.

The logic for the system is:
Stops on LN1 and LN2 are closed
Bottles accumulate on the Infeed Lanes LN1 and LN2,
when they reach PE on LN1 (I:1) and respectively LN2 (I:2) and sees them for a certain time, my LN1 or LN2 Ready Bits turn ON.
If there's demand on LN3 (I:7), the gate will swing to the Lane that is Ready first, if PE Gate Clear is Clear (I:5) (it will always be on one lane-spring return solenoid), then when the Prox Switch sees the gate is in position, the STOP on the respective lane (O:1 or O:2) will open and let the bottles go thru.
When the bottles reach PE Lane 3 Stack Control (I:6), the Stop on the lane closes and waits for the next Lane 3 Demand.
The problem appears when the bottles stack up again on the same lane that just fed Lane 3, and the cycle starts again on the same lane, ignoring the other lane that was ready.
There is a GAP on the incoming bottles on the infeed lanes (backup pressure gates) that I could use to trigger some latch/unlatch ready/not ready and make the gate swing to the Lane that was ready first, but I never used anything like that or a FIFO block, or maybe a counter, or two timers and compare them, but I'm unsuccessful so far in my tries.
What I did so far was only basic logic, and that's about it.

Any help would be appreciated !

Thank you!

IMG_7310.jpg

In similar cases, I have gone with two timers and a compare to see which one has been waiting the longest. I have also had to do a very similar control where I had to limit how long one supply lane could run before giving the others a turn at it.

Without seeing your code and perhaps even your actual product flowing it is hard to make detailed recommendations.

If your company allows, zip your RSLogix file and attach it to a post, or add screenshots to a post so we can see how your logic is written. Use the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the reply screen to gain access to the "attach files" button and accompanying dialog. There are limits on file types and image sizes imposed by the forum, so if you hit a snag, let us know and we'll help further.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!! Just looking at what you have, I would condition my logic to "hold out" the lane that just was called, even if it is ready again, until the other lane has moved it's bottles. Sort of a flip/flop bit situation, but conditioned with maybe the gate being in a certain position and that logic being an equal or a not equal, so the bit will only come true if the gate is where it's supposed to be. I've actually used EQU/NEQ instructions in A-B programming safety gates for robot cells and it worked pretty good.
You'll get some real pros here that will fix you up in a flash. Once again, welcome!!

Thank you all for the quick replies,
I'm attaching the Ladder for your review and help đź““, please be kind , this is not my daily job :)

I could make some recommendations like perhaps using a counter on the rising edge of B3/11 with a preset of 1. Then if the counter accumulator is at zero, select lane 1, if it is at 1, select lane 2. I started to edit the code and implement that idea, but I realize I might break some other things in your logic that I am not sure I fully understand.

Your logic doesn't look too bad, btw, every address is commented which gives you bonus points with me.

I added two timers, one for each lane that start timing when the lanes are in ready condition, then compared the two timers (one compare with GEQ and one with GRT to eliminate the possibility of equal timers or time outs) and triggered some bits that would tell me which one was first. Then added said bits to the request rungs per each lane. It works like a charm!

Thank you very much for the suggestions and help!