Help me about RSLogix 5000

accountcx

Hi,

I used Rslogix Emulate 5000 Chassic to simulate 1756 ControlLogix Rockwell by downloading my ladder programs from Rslogix 5000 before (also used Rslinx). But now if i want to simulate 1769-L32E ControlLogix, what software i have to get to download my ladder programs in? There's only 1756 ControlLogix in Rslogix emulate. I don't have a real PLC, so i just need to simulate it. Please help me, thx for reading and sorry for my bad english.

Hi & Welcome to the Forum!

See here on the Rockwell Knowledgebase for more info on what you need to do...

37548 - Emulating CompactLogix or ControlLogix Controllers
Access Level: Everyone

If you have any further questions then come back and we will hopefully be able to further assist you.

p.s. Make sure you backup your existing CompactLogix project file before changing the controller type or work with a copy of the original.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thank you George, but when i try to change controller, i lost all my I/O module. I use a 4-20ma analog input module which is not available in 1756 input module (just 0-20mA only). So i cant reinsert similar 1756 I/O modules using the same names and slot locations. What i have to do now? Thank you.

36764 - RSLogix Emulate 5000: Basic Setup Steps
Access Level: Everyone

Note the "Caveats" section - RSLogix Emulate 5000 does not support 1769 compact I/O.

Emulate will only emulate the logic of CompactLogix controllers. The I/O backplane is not supported for these controllers. This is why the 1769 I/O modules are deleted when you change to the Logix Emulate controller type. The emulate software is based on the ControlLogix I/O backplane. You would have to select a 1756 analog module that best matches your 1769 analog module, if you want the module-defined tags created under the emulator.

That was just some additional info to the earlier info I provided.

accountcx said:
...I use a 4-20ma analog input module which is not available in 1756 input module (just 0-20mA only). So i cant reinsert similar 1756 I/O modules using the same names and slot locations. What i have to do now?...

If you have say a 1769-IF16C current input module, which supports both 0-20mA and 4-20mA current input range, then you could use say a 1756-IF16, which supports the 0-20mA current input range, but can be scaled for the 4-20mA current input range...

1068700 - 1756-IF16 module: 4-20 mA current range.
Access Level: TechConnect

This, again, will only expose the module-defined tags for the 1756 module in Emulate. You will not, or cannot interact with any physical, real world I/O via Emulate, just the project's logic.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what CLX controller you are using when converting your program to run on Emulate. It is easier to change the programming for ControlLogix compared to Compact, but both types are fine for the Emulate program.

Although the IO cards remain intact in a ControlLogix program when it is converted, you still have to "Inhibit" them. Then you can manipulate the values of the "LOCAL" tags. The CompactLogix program loses the IO setup. You have to create tags to emulate the IO tags that are lost. Plus you have to correct the errors.

Most functions work in the Emulate program for both platforms. Even the Serial port will work. My main issue is that the TCP Messaging does not.