Compact Logix I/O

jimlongusa

I added a 1769-OB16 Output module to my project. When I go to tags I keep getting Local:2:C AB:1769_DO16:C:0, Local:2:I
AB:1769_DO16:I:0, AB:1769_DO16:O:0. How do I get rid of the config file and the Input file? see attached file
Jim

IO Problem.JPG

How do I get rid of the config file and the Input file? see attached file

you don't get rid of them - they are valid and have to stay ...

TIP: the "I" tags aren't really "inputs" the way that most people think they are ... they're more like an "echo" to send something like a "status" report to other devices in the system ... suggestion: just ignore the "C" and the "I" tags until you actually need to use them (maybe never) ...

welcome to the forum ...

Last edited:
As Ron stated in his post you need these tags.

The "C" tags are used to store the "setup" of the module. When you add a module and can configure any settings for the module these settings are stored in the Config tags. You can also monitor and change these tags from an HMI if needed.

The "I" tags are used as virtual inputs that can be used in the program to monitor for any fault conditions of the module.

Other types of modules may have more of these tags depending on the features of the modules.

As Ron stated in his post you need these tags.

Seconded

The "C" tags are used to store the "setup" of the module. When you add a module and can configure any settings for the module these settings are stored in the Config tags. You can also monitor and change these tags from an HMI if needed.

Changing data in "C" tags will have no effect until the processor re-connects with the module, because the "C" tag is written once only, to create the "Connection" to the module.

If you have to dynamically change a module's configuration you must then issue a "Module Configuration" Message (MSG) to force the processor to re-download the "C" tag.

The "I" tags are used as virtual inputs that can be used in the program to monitor for any fault conditions of the module

"I" tags are for any data that the module must transmit to the processor, such as Input data from Input modules, and Status data.

Other types of modules may have more of these tags depending on the features of the modules.

There are only 3 types of tags, "C", "I", and "O".

They are created automatically when you add the module to the I/O Configuration, and what you get will depend on the type of module you add.

Some have all 3, such as an Analog Output module, which needs "C" for the module's configuration", "I" for channel status information, and "O" for the channel Output data.

A Digital Input module typically only has an "I" tag, containing the Input Data, as there is no data to transfer to the module, and no configuration needed.

Rest assured that the tags are there for a reason, and you cannot delete them.

Changing data in "C" tags will have no effect until the processor re-connects with the module, because the "C" tag is written once only, to create the "Connection" to the module.

If you have to dynamically change a module's configuration you must then issue a "Module Configuration" Message (MSG) to force the processor to re-download the "C" tag..

When does this initial "connection" to each module happen during bootup or first scan maybe?