EDS files

platipus

I started today to work with RSNetWorx and Devicenet is uncharted land for me.I have many questions popping up in my mind but some are more pressing than the others: what is an EDS file ?,Is it a file that can be created and used by RSNetWorx only ?

EDS = Electronic Data Sheet
You should have one file for each type of device on your network (supplied by device manufacturer). The files inform RSLinx and RSNetworx of essential data about the devices so that they can, firstly, be identified and, secondly, have their parameters and data displayed in meaningful form. If the EDS file for a device is missing, the device shows up on your network display as a big yellow question mark with the label "Unknown Device".

RSNetworx is seldom used to create EDS files; usually you get them from the manufacturer who either types them up by hand or uses a "wizard" type generator like the one from SST. They're just ASCII text files; you can open and edit them with any text editor, though most users never have to.

RSNetworx uses EDS files for identity purposes, and to get info about changeable parameters in slave devices.

At the risk of going off-board, there is an RSNetworx discussion board over at: http://software.rockwell.com/forum that is dedicated to this software package.

Make sure you read through the PowerPoint Slideshow tutorial files that come with RSNetworx; they're a really good introduction to software functions and navigation.

I always say DeviceNet is like swimming; if you learn a little bit before you get in deep, you're far better off than the guy who never learned the basics.