LOGIX - Interlocks via Ethernet

spartacus06

Hello,

I was looking for some insight in establishing interlocks via ethernet. We have multiple plc networks on our conveyor line that will need information from one system to another. We are using CompactLogix for each system, but my question is should I install an additional ENBT card on each system for interlocks, separate from its local ethernet network to ensure the processor's ethernet capacity is not above its TCP/CIP limit.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “interlocks”. You’re using the term as if it were a protocol but I’m not familiar with it if it is. If you mean should you use a separate Ethernet network for the PLC’s if cost is not an obstacle then that is always a good idea especially if you are moving a significant amount of data.

"Interlock" meaning Produced/Consumed tags to share information between each system. I was planning on installing a 1768-ENBT card to each system for communication.

Last edited:
Like Firejo said, in a perfect world where money isn't a concern, sure, an extra network would provide you some buffer.

In practice, it's a design call. You can usually make do without it. How much of the network capacity is being utilized now? Do you have space in the rack? How tight is the budget?