TIA Portal v15 - does it overwrite v14 / v13?

Hopefully going forward from v15 we'll start to see the normal 15.1, 15.2 increments and then only have a full version when there is genuine added functionality.

It all depends what you count as "new functionality" worthy of a new full version. It's entirely possible there is "Major Version" functionality somewhere that you just aren't using.

The downside of the new unified Portal environment is that all the tools have to move forward in lockstep together. Or, at least, we're told they do; whichever. If there's a big improvement on the HMI side that requires changes to the overall Portal environment, they can't (or won't) release the WinCC as a major release while the next Step 7 one gets a minor release.

I like the unified tool concept, but it definitely has some downsides.

I've heard that V16 is on it's way.....:cry:

Oh don't worry, I'm sure you'll get a V15 SP1 first, probably with a newly incompatible save format.

I am struggling a bit with TIA, trying to have v11 and v15 on the same installation, it is giving me problems when I want to connect to the PLC from the v11.

I gave up and installed v11 on a separate WM, I only have one costumer with a single v11 setup, so the plan is to move the licens when I need the v11 to fire-up

I am struggling a bit with TIA, trying to have v11 and v15 on the same installation, it is giving me problems when I want to connect to the PLC from the v11.

I gave up and installed v11 on a separate WM, I only have one costumer with a single v11 setup, so the plan is to move the licens when I need the v11 to fire-up

Yep, those two versions are worlds apart. They are essentially different software altogether. If you could upgrade your v11 to v13 you would be okay to have v15 running on the same system as I've got that on my own machine and it works fine.

I feel your pain though, it's difficult because you would probably have to convince the customer to upgrade as well.

:)