Leukic

I recently went to install a new PV at one of our machines. Backstory
Old PV Part number
2711-T6C16L1 SER (B) REV (C) FRN (4.43)
w0lwjm.jpg

New PV Part Number
2711-T6C5L1 SER (A) REV (D) FRN (4.2)
2n03h91.jpg

Now I could not connect to the new PV so I brought the old PV back up to the machine to reconnect to it to verify my computer and cables were acting accordingly.

OldPV
I open RSLINX and went to new RS232 DF1 devices and clicked on Auto configure and BAM it connected with no issues.
vdfs43.jpg

34td102.jpg

When I disconnect the cable from the OLD PV and plug it into the NEWPV the new one never shows up.

So I stop the driver and delete it, I am still plugged into the NewPV and went to new Rs232 df1 devices and clicked on AUto configure. In the space besides that it comes up can not configure check your switches and cables.

Since the models have different SER REV and FRN is there a Possibilty of a firmware difference that will not allow me to even see the new PV in RSLINX.

Could it be that RSLINX is out of date (I am not sure if it is.) And or the PV 's firmware is out of date and they are compatible.
I kinda in uncharted territory and at least the Engineer at my plant was kinda stumped.
My next step is call AB personally to see what the issue can be.

THanks for reading all this.

There's an uh-oh in your part numbers.
Old PV Part number
2711-T6C16L1
RS-232 (DF1)

New PV Part Number
2711-T6C5L1
RS-232 (DH-485)

So to use the DH485 model, you will need to modify the PB32 file to match the hardware, and use your 1747-UIC adapter to dump it in. Additionally, the device that connects to that port will need to be capable of supporting the DH485 protocol and it will need to be configured correctly too.

The firmware difference is less of a concern than the Series letter, but since we're comparing granny smiths to red delicious, that probably doesn't matter either.

Last edited:
There's an uh-oh in your part numbers.
Old PV Part number
2711-T6C16L1
RS-232 (DF1)

New PV Part Number
2711-T6C5L1
RS-232 (DH-485)

So to use the DH485 model, you will need to modify the PB32 file to match the hardware, and use your 1747-UIC adapter to dump it in.

The firmware difference is less of a concern than the Series letter, but since we're comparing granny smiths to red delicious, that probably doesn't matter either.

Yes, I know they are different but it is what my company guy sent us lol.

I used com port 1 via AB serial cable to the RS232 PORT behind the 24VDC to connect to the OLD PV. Not the DF1 port Just clarifying since you did post in my last thread.

The PB32 file is not the issue I am having. I can't connect to the PV at all

They are both RS232 (apples) but one is DF1, the other is DH485 (protocol flavors). So the problem is with the language they speak, which will be a problem with the file and the way you connect to it as well as how you set up the RSLinx driver. The port you use to download will (I assume) be the same port it will use to "talk" to the PLC when you get done...

So that PLC needs to be bilingual too. Problem is, the PLC will need to be told what protocol to use, and with DH485 will need to be assigned a compatible node number. If your company policy allows, share with us a copy of the latest and greatest PLC file and the PB32 file, and we can 1) see if it is possible. 2) help you be the hero and tell the guy who sent you the wrong part you made it work despite him.

EDIT: tell us what version of RSLinx you are running. Mine has a driver for the UIC (version 4.00). I think with some older versions, you had to do something less intuitive to use the UIC adapter. But if you go to RSLinx Configure drivers and look in the available driver types for "DH485 UIC devices" then you should be good to go there...

Last edited:
The port you use to download will (I assume) be the same port it will use to "talk" to the PLC when you get done...

The old PV had the RS232 DF1 port (expansion card/printer port connection) on the right side of the panel that connected to the SLC 5/03. It is it's own separate card. I uploaded the program from this panel via the normal RS232 NOT the df1 side.

The new PV has the spot for this card/port but did not come with it.

I can get the files for both the PV and plc. Be around 7am EST. Not sure if I can upload those here or email them to whom may want to look. I had to use Tinypic for pics since I couldn't get them to upload right on here. I couldnt see them.

EDIT: tell us what version of RSLinx you are running. Mine has a driver for the UIC (version 4.00). I think with some older versions, you had to do something less intuitive to use the UIC adapter. But if you go to RSLinx Configure drivers and look in the available driver types for "DH485 UIC devices" then you should be good to go there...

I will look when I get to work in the morning. I am not using the UIC adapter to connect to the PV. I only use it to connect to the PLC.

Thanks OkiePC

To attach files, create a compressed folder and put both files in it. Then when making a reply, hit the "Go Advanced" button below the text window and look for the "Attach Files" button, follow directions from there.

Can you tell us the make and model of the PLC? We might be wasting your time depending on what you've got.

Also, I am pretty sure (99.5%) that you cannot install an additional card in the Panelview Standard. I have in the past swapped out touchpanels between very similar models, but this procedure involves some risk. If the old Panelview just has a bad touch cell, that might be worth considering.

It's things like this that have caused me to always opt to upgrade to a Red Lion HMI at first sign of trouble with any Painelview model. Almost any of the Red Lion offerings can replace any Panelview or PV+ that is not using DH+ or RIO (blue hose).

Last edited:
Can you tell us the make and model of the PLC? We might be wasting your time depending on what you've got.

Also, I am pretty sure (99.5%) that you cannot install an additional card in the Panelview Standard. I have in the past swapped out touchpanels between very similar models, but this procedure involves some risk. If the old Panelview just has a bad touch cell, that might be worth considering.

It's things like this that have caused me to always opt to upgrade to a Red Lion HMI at first sign of trouble with any Painelview model. Almost any of the Red Lion offerings can replace any Panelview or PV+ that is not using DH+ or RIO (blue hose).

THis is the pic of the SLC.
2rft3dc.jpg

The RS232 port (with the DB9 connector plugged in) is connected to the PV, correct?

If so, then we can modify the SLC and the PV programming to accommodate your new hardware. I will have to dig in the manual at work tomorrow to make sure that no changes are required to the cable...pretty sure you can even do this online without having to download. You might have to switch the CPU to program mode briefly (stopping the process it controls).

We'll still need you to share that PB32 file or walk you through the changes needed to pick the right catalog number.

My recommendation for DH485 node numbers:
RSLinx UIC driver Node 0 (default)
PLC port node 1 (defaults)
HMI node 2

OkiePC Here is the plc and pb32 file.

I have a SD card with the program from the old PV on it.
When I put the card into the NEWPV and load from CARD, it says file not supported.

This is the type of file that it supports
1r59vs.jpg

This is the type of file that is saved on the disc
160a2pk.jpg

They are both RS232 (apples) but one is DF1, the other is DH485 (protocol flavors). So the problem is with the language they speak, which will be a problem with the file and the way you connect to it as well as how you set up the RSLinx driver. The port you use to download will (I assume) be the same port it will use to "talk" to the PLC when you get done...

So that PLC needs to be bilingual too. Problem is, the PLC will need to be told what protocol to use, and with DH485 will need to be assigned a compatible node number. If your company policy allows, share with us a copy of the latest and greatest PLC file and the PB32 file, and we can 1) see if it is possible. 2) help you be the hero and tell the guy who sent you the wrong part you made it work despite him.

RSLINX Classic Lite Rev 3.90.00 CPR 9 SR 9
i do see the DH485 for UIC devices for in the RSLinx drivers.

Last edited:

The RS232 port (with the DB9 connector plugged in) is connected to the PV, correct?

If so, then we can modify the SLC and the PV programming to accommodate your new hardware. I will have to dig in the manual at work tomorrow to make sure that no changes are required to the cable...pretty sure you can even do this online without having to download. You might have to switch the CPU to program mode briefly (stopping the process it controls).

On the old PV the rs232 DF1 port talked to the plc.
I retrieved the program from the old Pv via the rs232 port that doesnt talk to plc.

BruceJW. When I installed the rs232 df1 card into the new Pv that was the printer port. Because since I removed the card. It says there is not printer port installed. The only port on the new panel is the rs232 port and the slot for the Sd card. Which in previous post I just made wondering why the file is not supported
Thanks for the help. I will see if I come up with something.

BruceJW. When I installed the rs232 df1 card into the new Pv that was the printer port. Because since I removed the card. It says there is not printer port installed. The only port on the new panel is the rs232 port and the slot for the Sd card. Which in previous post I just made wondering why the file is not supported
Thanks for the help. I will see if I come up with something.
good luck, I have always avoided Panel Views, hence not worked with them much. With DH485, you can apparently bridge to PV via the SLC. Assuming you have a valid DH485 network.

edit, with hours you already spent fault finding, can I suggest you look at upgrading to the latest offerings?