wireless access point for Micro8xx

XEMON

Hello all,

This is my first post, so i hope im doing it wright.

Let me start by saying im not a PLC pro, i started to learn programing on my own a few month ago, i am now able to program small system (stand alone machines) on Micro8xx series.

Our machine are either a stand alone plc with serial cable to the HMI or both PLC & HMI are plugged into a switch (we sometimes also add a VFD to the switch).
I know how to connect with a cat5 cable, this works great ... but im tethered to the control panel.

I am looking for a way to be able to connect wirelessly to the PLC so i can walk around the machine/plant with my laptop and have access to the PLC program (CCW).

I did some reading, and it seams like a "travel router" would do the trick.
But i was un-able to find a place that explains how to do it in "real life.
I understand the concept: the router plugs into the ethernet switch then the PC connect to the router giving it access to the ethernet network inside the panel:
Laptop <-> wifi <-> "travel router" <-> cat5 cable <-> switch <-> cat5 cable <-> PLC

But, that leaves me with a lot of questions, so here are the first few:
- what software do i need to get the "travel router" setup properly setup?
- how do i set it up? (do i give it an IP? a subnet? is it in router/bridge mode?)
- how do i let RSlink know the "path"?
- How do i setup on laptop to see the "p"ath?
- I read a lot about making a VPN network, how does that help me setup the wifi?

Obviously im really new to this :) and I may be over-thinking this ... hopefully you can help me make it clear in my mind.

Also, i am not too concerned about security as this would only be for temporary setup. When i leave, i disconnect all the equipment and take it with me.

I am looking at cheapo router (~$20) for testing then thinking about getting something a little nicer once i can make it work (looking at the asus WL-330N3G). Ultimately, if this works reliably, i may be able to justify something like the tosibox ...

Thank you al in advance for your help.
X

A simple home wifi router connected to your switch in the cabinet would allow you to use your laptops wifi NIC to do what you want. edit: I am not familiar with "Travel routers" but will try and answer your list best I can remember how

But, that leaves me with a lot of questions, so here are the first few:
- what software do i need to get the "travel router" setup properly setup?
Most routers have a GUI setup interface just type the default IP address into a web browser usually something like 192.168.1.1
- how do i set it up? (do i give it an IP? a subnet? is it in router/bridge mode?)
The router will need to be setup with a compatable IP scheme as your PLC so on the same subnet as the Micro8..
- how do i let RSlink know the "path"?
Same way as using an cat5 cable for direct connection
- How do i setup on laptop to see the "p"ath?
Your laptop will connect to the router via WiFi just like normal, so whatever you call the wireless network will show up in your list of available networks
- I read a lot about making a VPN network, how does that help me setup the wifi?
VPN is for more remote situations and security when connecting over the internet, sounds like you just want a local connection for now so VPN not necessary

Last edited:
I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNET-GL-M...ocphy=9033594&hvtargid=pla-491876105460&psc=1

The router has a built in web page, so you configure it using your web browser.

You will set your travel router up to assign IP Addresses that are on the same subnet as your Micro8xx. So if your PLC is 192.168.1.10, the travel router will be configured to assign addresses on that same subnet. Typically there is a configuration where you specify that clients are assigned addresses starting at 192.168.1.100 and you allow up to 20 clients, for example.

RSLinx doesn't really care about the router at all. It only cares about which of your computers network adapters it needs to browse. When you have your computer connect to your travel router, it will assign your computer an IP address. You plug your PLC into the LAN port on the travel and now they are magically connected.

When you add an Ethernet I/P driver in Linx, it defaults to browsing any of your network adapters, though you can specify which adapter. The default usually works fine.

No need to worry about VPN for this. A VPN is a protocol that connects two networks together securely over the internet.

I use an older version of this and have for years. The only drawback to using a wireless connection is if you need to access internet wirelessly, you will need a second wireless adapter for your laptop. Those are available for cheap as well.

This is the same as dmroeder just a different brand. I would recommend a travel tour instead of a full size router.

TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router(TL-WR902AC) - Support Multiple Modes, WiFi Router/Hotspot/Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes, Dual Band WiFi, 1 USB 2.0 Port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5RCZQH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_UtzRFbDF9S72G

A simple home wifi router connected to your switch in the cabinet would allow you to use your laptops wifi NIC to do what you want. edit: I am not familiar with "Travel routers" but will try and answer your list best I can remember how
[...]

thank you so much, this makes so much more sense now.
It all seams too easy :) i need to get a router and give it a go ...

I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNET-GL-M...ocphy=9033594&hvtargid=pla-491876105460&psc=1

The router has a built in web page, so you configure it using your web browser.

Thanks for the details (this is the "cheapo ~$20 i was looking at ...)
Every router get setup their own way directly from the laptop.

I use an older version of this and have for years. The only drawback to using a wireless connection is if you need to access internet wirelessly, you will need a second wireless adapter for your laptop. Those are available for cheap as well.

Ok, so the laptop can only connect to 1 wireless network at the time?So if i use the wifi from the laptop to connect to the router/PLC, it cannot connect to a separate wifi for internet at the same time.
Would something like this allow me to connect to teh second wifi (USB "dongle")?
https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-650Mbps...wg=uB3t3&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_2_img

Thanks everybody for the quick reply, i feel like im finally getting somewhere. Thank you.

Just in case you hit some snags, here is some more info:

As stated earlier, you need to have your (satellite wifi) router assign multiple addresses in, and be part of, the same subnet as the main (non-wifi) router.

However, most retail routers will, by default, do NAT, which sets up one address on the main router's subnet, and hides an entire separate subnet behind that one address, all masqerading as that one address.

It sounds like the travel routers do the former by default, but if the satellite wifi router you choose does not, you will have to navigate the web server of your satellite wifi router to choose a non-NAT configuration. One name for the desired configuration is repeater. However, the exact name varies by router manufacturer, so if you cannot figure it out on your own, attach the PDF of the user manual of your satellite wifi router to a post here, and someone will help you.

I use an older version of those travel routers all the time when building servers and such at home. The router has a WAN IP address and a LAN IP address. I set the WAN to an address in the PLC subnet. The router can also be a WiFi extender. You use the web page to log it on to you local wifi, and set up the extender log on etc... Then when you log on to the router you can access your wifi and the PLC using only one port on the laptop. You can also get updates/patches etc... on the PLC side. But....you are exposing the PLC to your wifi network and there could be security concerns.

Thanks for all the help, i am sourcing all the equipment right now ... I will probably have more questions as i try to make it work :p

As a side note, my boss asked me if this was something we could install at the customer and leave it live for a few weeks while we finish setup remotely, then do a follow up trip to retrieve the equipment.
I think security would be at risk using a "standard" wifi ... This is where the VPN comes in?
I have some questions about the VPN and how to set it up, but Im worry about getting a little too far ahead to quickly.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Little update to all, It works! Thanks everybody.

My engineering "programing" team didn't believe it would work, so i had to buy all the equipment out of pocket ...

I have a customer site 2 story underground (parking lot) with no reception. Yesterday i was able to setup the wifi network and go to the first floor and access the PLC and the internet for remote support. More work need to be done there (a lot) but proof of concept is here!

They are so impressed, they are asking me to get cellular router with VPN so we can ship it to the customer and access their PLC/system remotely without having to travel ...
Im always amazed of the 5 minute shift from "$100 is too much money" to "We are buying you a $1500 router that we hope will work" ...
This will have to wait until I'm a little more comfortable with what i have :p

Just so you’re aware there are off the shelf vpn options that are not near 1500.

Personally I like StrideLinx but I have not used their cellular option so I can’t comment on the performance of the cellular.

I’m really quite amazed that so many thought this wouldn’t work!