Conversion programs

David_Emmerich

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does Anyone know of any fast/easy ways to convert ab slc100/150 (in pcis)programs to Directsoft32 programs, without sitting here doing the conversion in my head? Our industry ( cement block ) is in the middle of a major change as most of the early automation efferts were done with what are now obsolete system,ie. 5TI, SLC100/150 etc. It is gatting to the point where we have good,mechanicaly sound machines that are being set aside because we can't (or is it won't)either find the old parts, or don't have the time to write new programs for them. Just this year,I have rewritten 5 programs....my mind is starting to shut down!!! Please send help (or a stiff Drink).

Well, I don't think that the SLC 100/150 has very many instructions that will be at all difficult to convert( they dont have that many instructions in the first place). Most SLC 100/150's I've seen are doing some pretty simple input/output logic with a few timers and a counter here and there.

What, in particular, are you having trouble converting?

If only it were possible ......

I don't think there is a silver bullet. We have always converted logic from platform to platform by "plug and chug" methods. Since we avoid elegant programming constructions like bit shifts, one shots, sets and re-sets, and so on this is a little easier. Mainly, it requires sitting at the keyboard going from print-out to RS-Logix or Versa-Pro or whatever.

If you find a magic cross-complier, PLEASE let me know.

Well thats what I'm doing...most of the time it is very much a "word for word " process....and it does help if there are not those nasty bit transfers....I guess we will all just have to keep looking...David

Hummm.........

Sounds like he has found "Programmer Hell"! Nothing to do but do it. Personally, when converting programs, I try to eliminate rungs by employing functions that we had to "build" with the old software, but are readily available in today's "friendlier" sofware packages.

I'm sure the Automation Company to prevail in coverting users of other products to their systems will design an import/export utility that will convert A/B Logic to DirectSoft32, etc. They just have to wise up!

Technically AB does offer some explanations of their commands used in the SLC 100/150 to convert to newer products. There are commands that the SLC 100/150 that arent common to their newer products. OF course that doesnt state how to convert to AD but may simplify the process overall.

Look at:
Technote Q0861

Technote A19135

As stated before the slc 100/150 wasnt that complicated so if there is a way to obtain a printout of the existing program (which AB or an integrator can do if you dont have) then it shouldnt be that hard to convert. If the system is small then it may be just as easy to do the program from scratch.

Just wanted to thank you all for reading/responding to my question. I think that I have had more problems rewriting 5TI programs because its been so long since I worked with them...have to relearn it before I can tear it apart. But I am happy to say that all the ones so far have come to life with few 'oh ****s'. I must say that I wish that I'd found you all sooner, and Thanks again . :)