Wonderware And Logix 5000

Tom Gieschen

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am developing a wonderware SCADA package that will need to talk to a control logix processor. My problem is I cannot figure out how to get the logix 5000 tags entered into Wonderware correctly. I have spoken with wonderware tech support at length about this and they have told me that I need to set it up as "Program:<Program_name>.tag". I am a bit confused and they could not answer what the two programs are. Is it "Programname:subroutine.tag" if so how are you suppose to enter controller tags. Wonderware tech support told me to call allen bradley and ask them what they mean by the two programs. This makes no sense to me. I know my communications are working well because I have communicated with the processor and looked at tags with the wonderware client. When I did this I simply entered the tag as it apppears in logix 5000. Why can I not enter it like that in Wonderware? Please help!!

TOM

Greetings Tom ...

and welcome to the forum ...

I just tried this syntax in the lab and got it to work:

Program:MainProgram.seconds_doubled

specifically, I typed in the word "Program" ...

then I inserted a colon character ...

then I typed in the name of the program (MainProgram) in which my sample tag was located ...

then I inserted a period character ...

then I typed in the name of the tag (seconds_doubled) that I wanted to access ...

as for a Controller-level scoped tag, I just typed in the name of the tag all by itself ... for example:

as I said, this all worked fine for me ... hope it helps ...

Last edited:
Ron,

Thank you for your assistance. I think I have bigger problems I realized that wonderware is not communicating like I had previously thought it was. When I go from development to run time I get an error that says cannot access topic DASABCIP for access name TEST_1. God I wish I was using RSview!

TOM

what are you using for communications? ... most people recommend RSLinx ... and make SURE that it is NOT the free RSLinx "LITE" version ... that version will appear to let you set up DDE/OPC links, but the links will NOT function ... check the title bar at the top of the RSLinx window ... if it says "Lite" then you'll need to "activate" the software - which of course is NOT free ...

or ... are you using some completely different communications package? ...

and as always, the more details you tell us about your system, the better help we can offer ...

good luck ...

Have you setup the DASABCIP server correctly?

You should have defined a com port object, then an ethernet port object, then a backplane object, and a controller object.

Without this you will not be able to specify a topic to attach to.

David

We use Wonderware's DASABCIP driver for communicating from the ControlLogix to Wonderware, and it has worked well for us. We, however, have made it a policy not to "talk" to program tags, only Controller tags. Typically we use Program tags for internal programming and Controller tags are for communicating between different tasks and the HMI.

Gotcho said:
We use Wonderware's DASABCIP driver for communicating from the ControlLogix to Wonderware, and it has worked well for us. We, however, have made it a policy not to "talk" to program tags, only Controller tags. Typically we use Program tags for internal programming and Controller tags are for communicating between different tasks and the HMI.

I also use this policy if I'm not using RSLinx Enterprise.

But if I have a complex system with lots of tags, my other policy is to use RSLinx Enterprise!

$

Question using RSLinx as your IO server - have you tested removing the ethernet cable from the PC - then reconnect. Does it recover?

RSLinx as the I/O server to Wonderware

I can use anybody's assistance! I am trying to establish communication to wonderware using RSLinx as the I/O Server. I am running RSLinx OEM REV 2.42 (Build 18) along w/ Wonderware Version 9.0 to a Control Logix5000 Processor using Logix 5000 V12.03.00 software.

I am completely new to this and do not even know where to begin. I can use anybody's help. From what I read so far I need to configure a new DDE/OPC topic first using RSLinx and then I am lost!!!

Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Last edited: