Device net configurator

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi. Does any one have the cable details ie pin to pin for an Allen Bradley 2702-DNC. It is a devicenet configurator that uses a common port to connect to either a devicenet network or to a RS232 port.
I have found a description of the pins on the unit (8 pin mini din) but would like to make the cables to connect to a network and also to a RS232 port on a PC.
Pin 1 11-25v dc from Devicenet
Pin 2 VDC common
Pin 3 Cable sheild
Pin 4 Receive data RXD
Pin 5 CAN-L
Pin 6 CAN-H
Pin 7 Transmit data TXD
Pin 8 Signal ground
shell

Looking at it now I think I can figure out that pin 1,2 3,5,6 would connect to the devicenet network so is there any one out there who can figure out the connections for the configurator to rs232 port.

Thanks in advance. Alan Case

The Standard RS232 pinout for a DB9 connector are as follows:

Pin 2- Transmit Data
Pin 3- Receive Data
Pin 5- Signal Ground

So you would need to connect,

DB9 2702-DNC
Pin 2 -------Pin 4
Pin 3 -------Pin 7
Pin 5 -------Pin 8

You might need to swap pins 4 and 7. Generally the terminals are labeled as to what their function is i.e. transmit, receive, but I have occasionally seen documentation that listed the function that need to be connected to a terminal. In essence for RS232 Receieve from one device connects to transmit on the other,

Thanks. RS232 is something I have never really got into, but on something like this if I get it wrong I could say goodbye to the serial port.

You will also need to make sure that your PC's serial port is set for the correct baud rate and handshaking. Since there is no CTS or RTS signal make sure that hardware handshaking is disabled. My guess is that no handshaking is required so make sure that software handshaking(XON/XOFF) is also disabled.