Panelview 6 version 6.1

dmayhugh

I was able to upload the file from the Panelview that was programmed. Usually the APA and MER files are saved on a network share. Unfortunately this one was not not and the person that edited this file is no longer working with our company.

When I try to restore the runtime application from the file that was uploaded I get the following message.
"This runtime application file was saved in a protected format that does not allow conversion to a developement application."

Is there any options to be able to open up a protected application with out the APA file? I do not have a password that may have been used as well.

Thank you,
Dave

dmayhugh said:
...When I try to restore the runtime application from the file that was uploaded I get the following message.
"This runtime application file was saved in a protected format that does not allow conversion to a developement application."

Is there any options to be able to open up a protected application with out the APA file? I do not have a password that may have been used as well....

493963 - FactoryTalk View ME error: "The runtime application file was saved in a protected format..."
Access Level: TechConnect

It's easy to read that mesage as suggesting that the application is "protected" as in "password protected". But that is not what it means.

The "protected format" message means that the option "Never allow conversion" was specifically selected when creating the MER runtime file. This means that only the minimum data required for the MER was compiled. The MED development file and all subfolder data were not compiled.

Three options are potentially available for the "Conversion to development application" option when creating an MER file...

Always allow conversion
Never allow conversion
Conversion protected by password

If a user selects the "Conversion protected by password" option then they must enter a password at this stage twice to confirm it. When this runtime application is attempted to be restored the user will be informed that the application file has been password protected and will be prompted to enter the password. If an incorrect password is entered, or no password, then the user will receive an "Invalid Password" message and the application will not be restored.

You are not being prompted to enter a password because the "Conversion protected by password" option was not selected. You are receiving the specific message for the "Never allow conversion" option.

So now you know that you cannot convert this MER application file proper, and aside from sourcing the original application; have you any other options?

There is one...

It's not straight forward and it does not recover everything. Worse still, using this method, the Display GFX files are normally recoverable, but when the "Never allow conversion" option was selected, the Display GFX files are not recoverable. This could be a deal breaker, especially if there are many or complex Displays in the application.

It is "somewhat" useful in situations such as yours where you may have no other choice and you do not want to start completely from scratch...

44554 - FactoryTalk View ME: Converting MER file to Project file
Access Level: TechConnect

...but it does fall short in not recovering the Displays, in your case.

Sorry, that's the best I can offer you, and it's not a lot.

Regards,
George

Last edited: