Type of controller to send pulse directly to stepper.

khaledgenidy

I need help to find the right card - this will be compatible with Allen Bradley
My goal is to find a card that can send signals and direction directly to the stepper motor i have. [ Eliminate the driver part]

Is this possible ?
Any suggestions?

Compatible with Allen Bradley. Good.

What platform..... Compact, SLC, Micr800s...

People will want to know this before giving you any specifics.

Thanks

I've done this directly from the PLC. Since the contacts were pulsing 2,000 times/day, I wired to a bank of slim-line relays. That way... if one went bad... I didn't lose a card. If you're interested in a copy of the program, let me know. Slim-line relays are limited to 5 amps and can't go faster than .005 secs. So, depending on your application... you may still want to go with driver.

@RobertB
Maybe I could send you the list of my homeworks also, so you could send me the PLC code for them as well
:)

Last edited:
@RobertB
I would be very gladly if you can support me with it just to read through it to understand the concept
If you could provide me with a block diagram schematic would be a great help from you.
my email is [email protected]

send signals and direction directly to the stepper motor i have. [ Eliminate the driver part]

First, "RSLogix" could mean software for the SLC-500, PLC-5, or ControlLogix. Specify which family or model of controller you are using.

Second, most PLC controllers send pulse and direction signals at low levels to a stepper "driver" or "controller" or "amplifier", which is turn controls power pulses to the stepper motor.

Most PLC controllers don't have enough power capacity in their output stages to control a stepper *motor* directly.

It would be ideal if you could share some information about the stepper motor as well.

I completely agree with Mr. Roach here. There is a good reason why automation uses drivers for stepper motors. With my project, I had very small stepper motors moving little 1 lb loads. I used a separate power supply connected to the slim-line relays. These stepper motors were 5 volt, 1 amp. So, the relays and the power supply did all the work. The PLC was simply the orchestrator. It was more of a challenge to see if I could program it... rather than actual robust driver.

I've done this directly from the PLC. Since the contacts were pulsing 2,000 times/day, I wired to a bank of slim-line relays. That way... if one went bad... I didn't lose a card. If you're interested in a copy of the program, let me know. Slim-line relays are limited to 5 amps and can't go faster than .005 secs. So, depending on your application... you may still want to go with driver.

Robert, can you upload the program you are talking about? I would like to look at it also. Thanks.

You will need a stepper motor driver as it does more than deliver pulses to the motor. It drives the motor via specific commutation pattern to achieve the "stepping" you are looking for. It takes the pulses from a PLC's pulse train output and "translates" that to motor rotation in terms of angle (steps) and speed.