Finding variables in plc program

esl

Is there any possibility to use "wild character with a string" for search in PLC program? e.g. while searching any program variable , can we get all the variables matching (exactly and similar both) with the variable details searched . (As we do in normal *.XLS - Microsoft Excel Sheet from Find option in Edit Menu )
Are there any PLCs providing this facility?
I am using PLCs from Cegelec, Siemens, GE-fanuc. For more clarification please write.

In most programming programs, if you search for "switch", you will find...

new_switch
old_switch
switch_on
switch_off
etc.

That's as close to a wild card as I know about.

For a search like switch, if the searched results are
switch
new_switch
switch_on
switch_off
etc it's ok.
But is it possible to find out the
switchon
switching
switchsystem
cornerswitch
localswitch
etc too?
Or Do you think both are same ?

You should also be able to find....

switchON
switchOFF
etc.

The underbar is not a delimiter; mearly another character.

A search for "whatever" (without the quotes) should give you any and every occurrance of "whatever" (again, without the quotes) whether it is by itself or embedded in anything else.

Be aware that if you type in a space (space-bar) after the last letter in "switch", such as in "switch " (again without the quotes), the search will not produce any results such as...

switch_is_ON
switch_is_OFF

But it will produce results for...

switch is ON
switch is OFF