GEA/FES Gateway To CLX Processor

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings, I have been tasked with interfacing a CLX controller for data collection and control of a refrigeration system at the plant that I work for. The system is a FES and consists of three compressors and a control panel for condensing towers and liquid pumps for the low temp freezers.
We want to collect data from the FES refrigeration system using the CLX processor and visualize using FT SE. The previous system is quite old dating back to 1992 and utilized iFIX and Intellution. Now the hard drive of the main computer is down, no backup and the only control we are left is from the engine room, we would like to use AB software and hardware to achieve this. I have looked in to this before but the company was not ready for the upgrade.
Here is what the FES system consist of:
GEA Screw 160 GM with a Micro III Panel ComMENT Network Communication Board
GEA Screw 195 GM with a Micro III Panel ComMENT Network Communication Board
GEA Screw 195 GM with a Micro III Panel ComMENT Network Communication Board
System Panel with a Micro III Panel ComMENT Network Communication Board
FES ComMENT Gateway Box
I have several manuals from the FES that explain somewhat the concepts of the ComMENT network and several manual that wore sent to me from users of this forum (big thanks).
The biggest issue that I’m faced with is establishing communication between the FES Gateway and the CLX processor (currently I have a CPX controller that I can use to try to establish commms).
The manual talks about setting the FES gateway for DF1 Emulation, and based on looking at the gateway it is set just to that, but I’m not sure how to interface the gateway with a PLC, I’m quite convicted that I would have to setup RsLinx as an OPC server to communicate between the two, but I’m not quite sure. I’m attaching as much information as I can for anyone that is interest in helping me out.
Thank You.

If you have a valid hardware key or license for the iFix system that crashed, I believe migration to a new platform is reasonably straightforward, and might be the quickest recovery option. I also have found the performance of iFix to be far superior to any Rockwell PC based software option.

To use RSLinx, you still need a driver to poll the gateway and make up that link in the OPC connection. You might be able to set up an OPC topic through a serial DF1 driver and test the link with excel.

Note that the gateway baud rate for the serial side may far exceed what RSLinx can do.

I am at home so I can't get into details about how ours is set up, but it is using the FES/GEA and iFix drivers.

I believe you will at least need a DDE/OPC server connection between the ComMent Network and RSLinx. We have a couple such systems at work, but they're using the GEA/FES driver connected to the iFix database.

To eliminate PC dependence and go straight from C-Logix to the ComMent network, you could connect to the gateway (RS-232 DF1) serially and write a message carousel program to poll/edit the data. Just verify your cable because I am pretty sure you will pin out differently than the PC serial port!

And then you need to write messages according to the manuals treating the nodes on the Comment side of the network like another SLC. If I remember, the node number of the device you are messaging is part of the message itself, but I am not sure if that is the Quantum driver I am remembering...

You should be able to see the indicator lights in the gateway flicker during each block read/write (read big chunks to test), likewise in each of the gateway boards in the Micro panels.

Yes, it would be interesting to set up an OPC topic in RSLinx Classic Gateway, and then poll that topic in Excel to see if the lights light up...

I have a 5/05 doing this type of messaging for Quantum panels but not Micromasters.

Last edited:
If you have iFix or Intellution you can have it converted by Rockwell. I had an older Ifix application converted to FTView SE. While it doesn't do everything, most of the screens were converted. Also Rockwell has a program that they'll give you a 40% discount on FTView SE licences when to convert from iFix to SE.

Are there any more details on how the Gateway does "DF1 Emulation" ?

Is the Gateway doing DF1 Emulation now, or Modbus RTU, or something else ?

Can you capture the serial data stream between the existing PC and the Gateway ?

My instinct would be to connect the Gateway to the serial port of the new Logix 5000 controller and perform DF1 messages, then just access the Logix controller's tag database over Ethernet from FactoryTalk View.

Thank You for your response.
Paul and Ken, eliminating the need of going thru the PC with the FES gateway and, going straight to the PLC’s RS-232 port would be an ideal situation here.
Are there any more details on how the Gateway does "DF1 Emulation" ?
The only thing that I know for sure is the setup of the gateway for AB DF1 Emulation see below.
Is the Gateway doing DF1 Emulation now, or Modbus RTU, or something else ?
Yes the Gateway is doing DF1 Emulation
Can you capture the serial data stream between the existing PC and the Gateway ?
No Ken, unfortunately the system is down.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Guys just wanted to update. I finally got to work on the FES system and was able to establish comms between the CPL processor and ComMENT network using DF1. Thanks for all you help.

First off sorry for not elaborating the setup.
I have a L35E compactlogix setup to do the initial communication test, all I did was a read of several parameters on all of the refrigeration compressors with a Micro III processor board, using a single MSG instruction, and just changed the path of the MSG to see if I could talk to all three compressors individually that is. I didn’t test the ComMENT network prior to connecting the host mainly because I knew that the network was ok from the gateway down, and also knew that the Gateway is set for DF1 emulation, so I just connected the host and went on with trying to get a response from the network via the MSG. Honesty this was much easier then I initially thought.
The communication cable used between the CPL and the ComMENT Gateway is a BELKIN F2L088-10 here is the pin out, and a website link:
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/Edocs.html
BELKIN F2L088-10
DE-9F DB-25M
DCD 1---8 DCD
RxD 2---3 RxD
TxD 3---2 TxD
DTR 4---20 DTR
G 5---7 G Signal ground
DSR 6---6 DSR
RTS 7---4 RTS
CTS 8---5 CTS
RI 9---22 Ring indicator, not connected in NetVista computer.

The ComMENT Gateway’s board dip switch SW3 and RS-232C are attached.
Attached is also a pdf and .acd file of the program.
If anyone needs any more information please let me know and I will post, again thank you all for your help.

hello

Adam303 COULD provide me with a copy of the CD or manual PANEL III GEA FES Micro Compressor Control Panel I have problems with layout and wiring not start the compressor by mistake oil pump but the compressor has no oil pump works with precione differential as I do for that parameter desastivar

if anyone has the manual please I need thanks