Programming HMI via PLC over MPI (S7)

Johnny T

Hi

I have a Siemens 313C-2DP PLC attached to an MP370 touchscreen via MPI. The touchscreen is quite a distance from the PLC (and up some stairs) and being a lazy so-and-so I wondered if it was possible to download to the screen via the MPI connection without having to go to the screen and plug my lead into the programming port on the HMI??

Has anyone achieved this and knows how it can be done? I've heard it is possible but I've no idea how to go about doing it

As always, any help is appreciated

Cheers

JT ;-)

If it's ProTool it shouldn't be a problem, if the HMI and PLC project are integrated. In the ProTool project, select the contoller, and click the Parameters button (I think its parameters). On the screen that opens up, make sure that you have the processor from the project selected. (you will have options to select the parameters yourself, and you should see the 313 processor. Select the processor). Select Download>Preferences from the File menu, and make sure MPI is selected and that the address of the TP is correct and it should download.

I'm assuming that you connect the PC to the PLC through a programming port attached to the processors MPI port?

Hi,
I think the remote option needs to be checked in the panel communications, otherwise you'll have to manually switch the Screen to transfer mode.

Last edited:
Hi Johnny,

It also works fine in WinCC, assuming the MP370 project is integrated in the S7 project.

Under 'Connections' you have already specified the HMI's DP address (most likely 3); the PLC's MPI address is probably 2. When entering the 'Transfer settings' menu, check the 'Enable routing' option: It will automatically show you the correct routing MPI: 2 -> PROFIBUS: 3. That is, if you've set the PG/PC interface in Simatic Manager to MPI.

Like STL??? mentioned, you have to set the MP to allow remote access, otherwise you would still have to run up & down just to put the MP in transfer mode.