Message block between SLC and Controllogix

Hilgard

Hi All

Have any one sent a message block from a SLC 5/05 to a Controllogix L61 or similar Logix processor?
I need to get data from a SLC 5/05 to a Controllogix 5000 PLC over Ethernet preferable. I have a GSM module that slots into a Controllogix rack and I can generate sms'e from the proccessor and send it then out to clients giving critical process information.

Thanks a lot.

Here you have three pics with my example in this case the 5/05 is telling the compactlogix that one of the tanks is open.

The language is spanish but i hope you can understand it.

Please let me know if you need more assistance.

In preference, I would get the ControlLogix to READ the data from the SLC, together with basic SLC Status info, (like RUN mode, etc.)

Your CLX "SLC Data-Table Read" message configures easily, and there will be no need for "mapping" the SLC data-table file in the CLX.

(Mapping would be needed if the SLC wrote the data to the CLX, because the SLC has no means to specify a CLX tag-name, only another SLC-style data-table address).

Take a look at this technical tip from Rockwell

Rockwell has a decent technical tip on how to message between a ControlLogix and a MicroLogix (applies to a SLC as well). Take a look at this page. It explains both how to message from the MicroLogix to the ControlLogix and the reverse.

Notice, as Daba says, it's simpler to put both the read and write message in the ControlLogix so you don't have to setup mappings.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot you guys. I got it working!!!
Special thanks to Swhitlock the page you mentioned was the answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

In preference, I would get the ControlLogix to READ the data from the SLC, together with basic SLC Status info, (like RUN mode, etc.)

Your CLX "SLC Data-Table Read" message configures easily, and there will be no need for "mapping" the SLC data-table file in the CLX.

(Mapping would be needed if the SLC wrote the data to the CLX, because the SLC has no means to specify a CLX tag-name, only another SLC-style data-table address).

Problem with this is that if you are looking for an event t happen in the SLC to update some values in the CLogix you'll have to poll the SLC constantly so as the even is read right when it happens. Which will "put pressure" on the ethernet network. In this case I'd write from the SLC to CLogix only when the event is triggered.