Compactlogix Firmware

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just received a 1769-L23E-QB1B controller.

This is to replace one that I had to send back which would not hold its firmware.

I need to set a static IP address and turn off BOOTP and DHCP BEFORE I download the firmware, otherwise I am likely to end up with another semi-bricked unit. The first one I receved, I followed the directions, using rockwells BOOTP server, and set the IP address, but I did not turn off BOOTP, so at the end of the firmware upgrade, after the unit reset itself, the flash utility did not receive confirmation. I was able to download an run a project for about 20 minutes anyway though, and then the thing lost its marbles (solid red MS and OK LEDs) and I had to start over. Each time I loaded the firmware, it would run for a max of a few hours and then lock up again, so I exchanged it. I am worried that I caused that problem and don't want to repeat it.

RSLogix5000 will not go online to the controller with boot firmware serially or through the ethernet port.

How can I turn off BOOTP and DHCP without being able to go online?

EDIT: NEVERMIND. I found it right there in the BOOTP server...buttons to disable bootp and dhcp...

Last edited:
The Enable/Disable BOOTP functions of the BOOTP/DHCP Utility are blocked by some firewall settings, so it's good that they worked correctly for you.

The "1756-ENBT Module Configuration Applet" is launched if you right-click on an Ethernet module in RSLinx Classic's RSWho browser and select "Module Configuration".

The Port Configuration tab of that applet will let you enable/disable automatic IP addressing and select BOOTP or DHCP, as well letting you set the IP/Subnet/Gateway, DNS servers, host name, etc.

This utility works with all the Logix-family Ethernet modules or daughtercards I've used; 1756-ENBT, 1756-EN2T, 1768-ENBT, 1769 CompactLogix, 1788-ENBT, 1788-EN2DN. It does not configure PLC-5E, SLC-5/05, MicroLogix 1100/1400 or 1761-NET-ENI devices.

...The "1756-ENBT Module Configuration Applet" is launched if you right-click on an Ethernet module in RSLinx Classic's RSWho browser and select "Module Configuration".
This utility works with all the Logix-family Ethernet modules or daughtercards I've used; 1756-ENBT, 1756-EN2T, 1768-ENBT, 1769 CompactLogix, 1788-ENBT, 1788-EN2DN.

Thanks, Ken.

I had tried that, but got an error in RSLinx. I wondered if RSLinx module configuration would work when only boot firmware exists in the PAC. But now that I have my new unit flashed and working correctly, I am still seeing some problems with RSLinx.

I get an hourglass when I right click the module for up to about 60 seconds. Sometimes it will not expand the ethernet module and show the backplane/modules, but other times it does.

Yesterday, I got kicked offline using RSLogix5000 twice. So, I removed the device in RSLinx and let it repopulate, then was able to see the module, backplane, etc. I have also tried shutting down RSLinx and even rebooted the PC once.

While I was poking around, I saw the upload EDS files feature and went ahead and did that and registered them.

But today, I am back to being able to see the PAC ethernet module, but unable to drill into it, even after removing it from the tree and letting it reappear.

Hmmm...I was going to get a screenshot of my error, but lo and behold the module configuration decided to work this time.

One thing I still see that looks unusual is the number of connection requests under Module Statistics. Perhaps this is because right now the CPU is exposed to our controls LAN and not on a managed port (while under development in the office). It will be on a managed port when installed on the production floor. The other possibility could be the HMI (Red Lion G306A), but with it unplugged, I still see the connections counter increment about once every 5 to 10 seconds.

Alrighty, it's acting up again, so I will post a screenshot. I am guessing that this might be related to other traffic on the port, but I don't understand why so many connection requests...

EDIT: I did some cable swapping and things seem to be much better. There's no longer that lag in RSLinx like I saw before, although I still see the connection request incrementing every couple of seconds.

EIP_CompactLogix.jpg

Last edited:
RSLogix5000/RSLinx issues are back

Okay, I think I have narrowed my issue down to something going whacky in RSLogix 5000, but it could be something gone awry in RSLinx.

I have had this issue with both the Ethernet/IP driver and Ethernet Devices driver.

I keep getting kicked off line with the messages shown in my screen shot. This happens with or without the HMI connected, and it doesn't seem to matter whether the PLC is in RUN or PROGRAM mode.

Once this happens, I cannot get back online unless I shut down RSLogix 5000 v17.01.00 and restart it. Sometimes this does not help, and I must shut down RSLinx and RSLogix then start again. This is getting really frustrating.

I have already tried blowing away the harmony files but this did not help at all. My PC has only one NIC. I am going to try defaulting the PLC and see if that helps me.

EDIT: I found another technote which suggests uploading the program and saving it. I am trying that first, before I default the controller.

EIP_CompactLogix_000.jpg

Last edited:
Segregate and conquer.

Have you tried connecting with just your computer, an Ethernet switch and the PLC? If that works, add just the HMI. Keep adding stuff until it all falls apart.

I've only had this happen to me once. It was at a customer site with an extensive Ethernet control network. It used managed switches but none of the bells and whistles were enabled.

Keith

Well, I decided to download wireshark and start learning how to use it.

Without doing any reading, I just installed it and fired it up.

Right away I found that we have a 1794-AENT that is spitting packets all over our network. That device is definitely supposed to be on a managed port along with the PV+ and the 1756-ENBT it's connected to. I am not seeing any traffic from those other two devices, so I suspect that one of my co-workers (who is much more ethernet savvy than me) who set up the switches forgot about that device.

So, I am going to see if I can figure out how to make the necessary changes to that switch to block all that multicasting.

I am surprised that we have not seen more problems. We put that machine on our controls LAN about a month ago...when we did, my buddy was watching the switch for unusual activity and he said everything looked good.

Amazing. I am also seeing a few packets that are supposed to be on the other side of the router on the business LAN. Packets from a fax machine and printer server...that might be normal though, since my PC needs/has access to those.

I always knew we had network problems but was afraid of opening up this can of worms....

I have so much to learn...

Last edited:
Duplicate IP

Well, I learned something important. Always ping a prospective IP address before adding a new device, no matter what your documentation says.

I don't know what's out there or where it's at, but the IP address I intended to use was already occupied.

:oops: