Connect laptop > ML1000 problem

Martindag

Here my problem. Im prety new with PLC i got some basic but still a beginner. but i got a $%^%$ load of cable and PLC at my work with a laptop... that laptop should be able to connect to any PLC at my work with all the cable i got. the program i have on it are: Step7 program, Rslogix500, rslinx, picosoft, panelbuilder32.
but for now all i want is to connect to a
when i look at my driver in rslinx it got the good setting but i cant connect to my ML1000
here a list of all the stuff i got i would like some advice or recommandation for the quickest and easiest way to connect to it.

Micrologix 1000
cat: 1761-L16AWA ser E FRN 1.0
Serial: 1L16AWA1BE-1033083445

i just ordered a USB All in one MicroLogix, SLC, CompactLogix and Controllogix programming cable thinking it would be much more easy to connect with that. at plctrainer.net website
i should get that in the next few days.

==================================================================================
==================================================================================
CABLE:
3x 1761-CBL-PM02 SER C
2X SLC500 PERSONAL COMPUTER INTERFACE CONVERTER 1747-PIC , SER A
1X CISCO 72-3383-01 REV.A1
4X MALE / FEMALE PC COMM PORT (RS232 , PANELVIEW)
1X MALE COMM PORT / LAN PLUG
1X KEYBOARD / MOUSE SPLITER CABLE
1X FEMALE / FEMALE PC COMM PORT
1X DH485 MALE PLUG / PC COMM PORT MALE 1784-PCM5/B (PCMK CARD)
1X SIEMENS PC/PPI CABLE WITH MALE/FEMALE PC COMM PORT
4X LAN CABLE
1X SIEMENS LAN CABLE FEMALE/MALE SIMATIC NET IE FC OUTLET RJ456GK19011FC000AA0
2X PRINTER PORT MALE/FEMALE PC COMM PORT
1X PRINTER PORT MALE/ PRINTER PORT FEMALE
PLUG:
1X PLUG USB/MOUSE PORT
1X PLUG FEMALE PC COMM PORT/ 8PIN MALE PLUG... LOOK LIKE ML1000 CABLE PLUG BUT DONT FIT
1X PLUG PRINTER PORT MALE/ PC COMM PORT FEMALE
MY LAPTOP:
IBM THINKPAD
TYPE 2373-L1U S/N99-LK0T8
Port on it:
2X USB PORT
1X LAN PORT
1X PHONE PORT
2X SLOT FOR PCMK CARD? DH485
1X PRINTER PORT
1X MINOTOR PORT

i need some information.
#1 - what version of rslogix 500 are you using.
#2 - what version of rslinx are you using
#3 - what is the series of the ML1000?
#4 - has anything changed on the pc lately? installed /
deleted anything? updated anything?

one other possibility, i have a contractor who has trouble
with seimens software and ab software loaded on the same system.

regards,
james

when i look at my driver in rslinx it got the good setting

What does that mean? If you are looking at the Configure Drivers window, that window would not necessarily tell you anything but that it is configured. It may not update to tell you if there is an error.

Or, are you looking at the RSWho window and you can successfully see the Micro show up there.

It makes a difference!!

OG

Because your laptop does not have a serial port, you are going to need that USB to serial adapter from plctrainer. Hopefully you bought the "Keyspan". If not you need it.
Once you get the adapter and its driver install take note of the comm port it takes ( something other then com 1 usually). Then in RSLinx configure the DF1 driver and set to the proper com port then click autoconfigure you should get connected. Use the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable on the end of the USB to serial adapter to connect to the ML1000.

i had a idea... but i dunno if its a good one

if i plug my micrologix cable with one of my female pc comm port/printer port ... actualy all i need to link then together would be a pc comm port male/male ... you think it could work ?

the cable i bought is this one on the picture

PM02-cp3usb.jpg

Last edited:
here the spec of that cable i bought:
the black one look like to me a USB / pc comm port female cable... but i hope its a male one! if not i will buy that keyspan i guess or a pc comm port male/male

All in one MicroLogix, SLC, CompactLogix and Controllogix programming cable
This cable replaces the Allen-Bradley USB 1747-CP3 and 1761-CBL-PM02
[FONT=Lithos Pro, Verdana, Arial, Sans-serif]
This is a direct replacement cable for Allen Bradley Programming Cable USB-1747-CP3 or USB-1756-CP3 necessary for communication/programming the SLC 5/03, 5/04, 5/05 or ControlLogix (DF1) using a PC with USB, Driver CD is included or can be downloaded, you will also receive a short cable, this is an adapter that will convert the USB-CP3 to a USB 1761-CBL-PM02

With this one USB cable (set) you can program all Allen Bradley MicroLogix PLC's (1000, 1100, 1200, 1500) AND the SCL line (5/03, 5/04 and 5/05) AND CompactLogix AND ControlLogix via the USB port on your PC to the RS232 port on the PLC

USB-CP3-02
[/FONT]

The owner of that site is a trusted forum member. Plug those two cables together and it WILL work with your ML1000, as stated.

Come back and let us know or for any future help.
And welcome to the forum.