1771-DMC CoProcessor program upload

kutuz

Hello everyone,

I am looking for tips and tricks how to upload a program from 1771-DMC CoProcessor.

A client has a PLC-5/40B with CoPro Main Board (1771-DMC) sitting in slot 0.
I was planning to install 1785-ENET into slot 0 and that's why I would need to know what program is inside the CoPro to be able to modify it in case we decide to move the CoPro to another slot and proceed with 1785-ENET install.

I found a Rockwell knowledge base that the CoPro program can be uploaded using HyperTerminal. I was trying to connect to the channel 1 (9 pin port) of the CoPro module using 9600, 8, N, 1, Xon-Xoff settings, but I could never see OS-9 command prompt (never seen any symbol as an answer). I tried many other speeds as well as Hardware/None protocols but the CoPro did not respond.

Does anybody have an experience how to connect to the CoPro? Any tips?

Thank you in advance!

First, do you know what language was used to program it? You can probably deal with the program if it is in BASIC, but every DMC program I've ever written has been in C.

What ports are being used (if any) on the DMC? the 9 pin is COMM0 by the way, not 1, and has no dip switches to configure it. It should be simply 9600, 8, N, 1 like you indicate above, IF it is in its default configuration. If there is a startup file on the DMC though, that can be changed... You might want to try a different terminal program (aside from Hyperterm). I prefer RealTerm or Tinyterm.... They are much more stable terminal emulators then Hyperterm is.

Once connected, you do need to send a [RETURN] to the DMC to get to the command prompt (which should be $)

Thank you for the reply.

I do not know what language was used for it. It is a black box to me and nobody could provide any specific information.

The DMC has 3 LEDs: CPU, Comm 0, Comm 1. All are solid yellow, no cables are connected to Comm 0 and Comm 1. As soon as I connect a cable from my laptop serial port to Comm 0 (yes, I used Comm 0, 9 pin, you were right), the Comm 0 light is go off and it only blinks when I try to send [Return] from HyperTerminal. could never get a command prompt in HyperTerminal, I have never received ANY symbol at all (tried different speeds and protocols).

Any ideas what could the next step? Is there any way to upload the program from Comm 1?

Thank you.