Ab Plc5

Give me a bit more information I do not want to assume. I could give you a simple program that would start remember the last pump that run and run the alternative on start. As well as you can use hours of operation and cycle them based upon that. Which would you prefer?

Im using a timer to keep track of each motor run time.

I would like to rotate them after an hour ( 3600 seconds )
of run time.

Thanks

We won't do your homework for you. (If this isn't for a class, please accept my apologies for the assumption. It's a standard classroom exercise...) We love to help, but nobody benefits if we just hand it to you.

That said... The hardest part of any automation project is in the definition. DEFINE what you want to do before you ever start writing code. Only when you know WHAT you want to do can you determine HOW you're going to do it.

DEFINE it -- each step in the cycle, how you go from step to step (each transition). That's a flow chart, or an outline, or "pseudo-code", or any of a number of other ways. How does it start? How does it stop? Any alarms? If so, what do they do and how are they reset? Does it auto-restart after an alarm? What if it stops in the "middle" -- How does it restart?

Then assign your I/O, and figure out how your I/O assignments relate to your process definition.

Do the above first, post your results. Then we can look over what you have, make suggestions, etc. Then you can start writing code.

Last edited:
Spend more time on the question, and you might get a decent answer.

Thats just the type of answer I was told to expect here..!!

I have this vision in my head of a bunch of people huddling in a corner and whispering, "I'M not going to go ask them, YOU go ask them!"

I would have to agree with the others on this. If this is for a school then it would only make you a weak programmer for me to give you the answer.

Not that everyone does not need assistance however if your learning about PLC's in a class and not someone struggling to learn it on their on in the field help from us here is not what you really want.

Sit down with it for a while and think what you need and how to put the instructions together and try the first attempt maybe a bit off but adjust analyze and adjust your ladder you would get something and learn more that way as well.

Looking for a simple program example to alternate 2 pumps using rslogix5. Any ideas.??
Yes, plenty of methods have been discussed, dissected, put back together a differnt way, and completely analyzed here on this forum. You can probably find a complete ladder logic program that will work for you, with a few changes to add the timer. Look at the threads already given, or do a Search for alternator, toggle, or flip-flop.

If you describe you situation, and it is a legitimate problem in an industrial environment, you will get plenty of help. Even if it IS homework, if you make and effort and post your work, and ask for help, you will get it.

Some tips:

(1) Alternating two pumps is about the same program as alternating two motors of any type, be they pumps, compressors, fans, or whatever. A PLC really doesn't care what the outputs are used for. That is up to the user.

(2) Once you figure out how to make 1 output switch on and off as the result of the same input --an alternator circuit, it should be easy to use that output to switch from Pump 1 to Pump 2 back to Pump 1 and so on.

Last edited:
Im new to this type of forum. Havent done HOMEWORK in 37 years.
I was told this might be of some useful help.
I guess I dont understand why, if a person asks for help, people
automatically assume your a kid. But oh well.

Heres the program files. Look at LAD 20 ( LS-5 ).

Any help would be appreciated, or if not, thats OK too.

Thanks,

Okay, I guess after 37 years you deserve a break! We get a lot of PLC students looking for a quick fix for their "F". Your problem happens to be one that is regularly assigned by PLC instructors! Imagine that. Your solution is at hand!

If you have the ladder in RSLogix5, ZIP it and attach it to your last post.

Also, at the top of the PLCS.net menu, click on "Downloads". There is probably an alternator circuit in there.

Last edited:
matrixmerlin said:
Im new to this type of forum. Havent done HOMEWORK in 37 years.
I was told this might be of some useful help.
I guess I dont understand why, if a person asks for help, people
automatically assume your a kid. But oh well.

Heres the program files. Look at LAD 20 ( LS-5 ).

Any help would be appreciated, or if not, thats OK too.

Thanks,

Because in the past we got NUMEROUS poorly asked questions from students on a daily basis. The idea is to help people LEARN, not just automatically give them an answer, so they will understand what they are doing.

When I said "poorly asked question" think about what you originally asked.
Looking for a simple program example to alternate 2 pumps using rslogix5.
Any ideas.??

There are numerous ways to alternate outputs http://www.patchn.com/ab_plc_flasher.htm but without details it is impossible to provide specifics.

As mentioned taking the time to do a search would have offered many examples that you could experiment with, if there are issues with making something work then provide the details and many will be glad to work with you through the process.

It's exactly what RSDORAN's sig says:

"Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand."

Merlin, do you want to forget, remember or understand?

I apologize for assuming you're a student asking for help with your homework. (Look up there -- I apologized up front too ;) )

However, my answer above still stands. Define on paper exactly what you want to do, the triggers to transition from step to step, then start programming. That's how every one of us here who does this for a living would attack any automation project (though we may occasionally leave out the "on paper" part of the definition phase if it's a small project)