Click PLC Field Experience

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I have started work on a couple of jobs that I think a Click PLC would be perfect for. The problem is I have zero experience with them in the field. I have one on my test bench and I have played with it some but never installed one for a customer.

What is your experience with the Click? Any issues or failures?

The panels will be installed outside in areas that can get very cold (-30F) which I know is below the specs of the Click. I am thinking about installing a small heater in the panel.

Just give my your thoughts.

We have a few out in the field and haven't had any failures yet. One of them is the telemetry master for a handful of water wells and has been running fine for 3 years but is in a maintenance building with controlled temp.

We installed a few more in outdoor locations in NEMA 4 boxes this summer and they handled the heat fine. We don't get that cold around here, a few degrees below zero is rare. I like the Click, and would keep using it when there is a cost concern, but we prefer to use A/B PLC hardware and software.

We do have some pesky radio modems that don't like the cold and I have used some small heaters from A/D to alleviate issues with them:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...nclosure_Thermal_Management/Heaters/016020-03

I used a temp switch so they don't waste power when the temp is above 40F.
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...nagement/Thermostats_-a-_Hygrostats/011409-00

That little heater gets really warm and all I cared about heating was the aluminum bodied radio, so I mounted it to the same base plate the radio and mounted the temp switch right above it.

I have several in the field. No issues, either.
I would also consider the new Productivity 1000, also from AutomationDirect. Same price range, but more features.

But then he'll need to download and install a 2 GB software (CCW) that is not the best I've seen...

Just like any other piece of software there is a learning curve!

If he/she has never dealt with click software they will have a learning curve.

Thanks everyone for the info,
I did think about the Micro 820 PLC. I haven't used a Micro 800 since right after they were released and CCW was a nightmare. I have CCW just kind of gun shy to use it but I have heard that it has gotten better since V1.

Bullzi Buddy, I have installed 6 Now in the field without issues yet. probably at 2 years on the oldest one approx.

Just installed another, then they asked for PID Control. There isnt any built in but with some help from Bernie Carlton, i have PID Control now.

I Cant complain at all

Bullzi Buddy, I have installed 6 Now in the field without issues yet. probably at 2 years on the oldest one approx.

Just installed another, then they asked for PID Control. There isnt any built in but with some help from Bernie Carlton, i have PID Control now.

I Cant complain at all

Thanks Dan!! I know it gets cold up in your neck of the woods :)

Bullzi
You wouldn't have that problem with the new Productivity 1000.

I haven't used a Micro 800 since right after they were released and CCW was a nightmare.

They have made it a LOT better since back then... we stopped using them for a long time but then started up again about a year ago, that said I dont think you can go wrong with either, I have a few hundred of each out in the field and never had issues with either, but I dont know of any in a cold environment.