can someone shed some light on this topic

plc noob

a properly rated emergency power disconnectshould be used to power the plc controlled system as a means of removing powerfrom the entire control system . it may be necessary to install a capacitor across the disconnect to protect agianst a condition known as outrush . this condition occurs whenoutput triacs are turned off by powering off the disconnect. thus causing the energy stored in the inductive loads to seek the shortest distance to ground which is often through the triacs .

Sounds like the PLC manual is asking for a "surge suppressor" to be installed across the output to protect the triac. Most of these AC suppressors are a combination resistor and capacitor.

In the old days this was a common requirement when a mechanical switch was wired in series with a solid state PLC output.