My biggest fear... Loosing the RS Logix 5000 Activation Dongle ( USB Stick )

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

My biggest fear came true. I lost a USB stick that had my RS Logix 5000 activation on it . What is the best way to get this RS Logix 5000 re-activated ? Thanks so much in advance.

Hi,
you must have got serial number & product-Id with the RsLoix 5000 DVD. You can contact to Rockwell wih this info.

The best way? It depends really on how you want to proceed...

1. Do you want to Rehost the Activation to a new USB Dongle Host ID?

Or...

2. If you do not have another USB Dongle yet, do you want to Rehost the Activation temporarily to a fixed Hardware Host ID, like the Hard Disk Drive or LAN Adapter on your computer?

For option 1 above I keep a spare unused USB Dongle in the drawer here beside me. If you don't have a replacement yet then...

For option 2 you can Rehost a serial number up to 3 times in any 12 month period. If you had Activated the current product within the last 12 months, then that was strike 1. If you now Rehost to a fixed Host ID, temporarily, then that will be strike 2. If you order a new USB Dongle and then Rehost back to it, then that will be strike 3 for this 12 month period.

If you then need, for any reason, to Rehost the Activation for a fourth time within the same 12 month period, then you would have to contact Rockwell.

You should be able to perform the above Rehosting yourself using FactoryTalk Activation Manager and a computer with Internet access. If you are unsure of all that, then yes, you can contact Rockwell to assist you, or ask here.

Regards,
George

Rob S. said:
...Just a regular USB thumb drive would work , correct ?

That's a negative!

The 9509-USB-DONG2 FactoryTalk Activation Dongle is a Sentinel HASP (Hardware Against Software Piracy) Key. They specifically use a software/hardware combination designed for the Digital Rights Management (DRM) market and were originally developed by Aladdin Knowledge Systems, now SafeNet Inc.

They provide a Hardware Host ID, known as a Flex ID, which is similar to a MAC address and is unique to that one piece of hardware. Once your software has been Activated against that Flex ID, only its presence will successfully Activate the product. Regular USB flash drives, thumb drives, or memory sticks, whatever you like to call them, do not provide this Flex ID.

While the 9509-USB-DONG2 does provide you with 2GB of storage space, this is just auxiliary to the Flex ID feature and does not make it a regular flash drive. The storage space allows you to store licence files on the Key for convenience so they are to hand when you plug the Key into any computer with the same serial number software installed, allowing auto Activation. This saves manually moving licence files around to the necessary computers.

Regards,
George

The best way? It depends really on how you want to proceed...

1. Do you want to Rehost the Activation to a new USB Dongle Host ID?

Or...

2. If you do not have another USB Dongle yet, do you want to Rehost the Activation temporarily to a fixed Hardware Host ID, like the Hard Disk Drive or LAN Adapter on your computer?

For option 1 above I keep a spare unused USB Dongle in the drawer here beside me. If you don't have a replacement yet then...

For option 2 you can Rehost a serial number up to 3 times in any 12 month period. If you had Activated the current product within the last 12 months, then that was strike 1. If you now Rehost to a fixed Host ID, temporarily, then that will be strike 2. If you order a new USB Dongle and then Rehost back to it, then that will be strike 3 for this 12 month period.

If you then need, for any reason, to Rehost the Activation for a fourth time within the same 12 month period, then you would have to contact Rockwell.

You should be able to perform the above Rehosting yourself using FactoryTalk Activation Manager and a computer with Internet access. If you are unsure of all that, then yes, you can contact Rockwell to assist you, or ask here.

Regards,
George

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am, I've never caught George being wrong yet), but don't you need the dongle with the activation on it connected to be able to rehost the activation? I thought that was the whole point, before you're allowed to attach the activation to some other hardware address, you have to detach it from whichever address it's on now. Or "rehost" and "host" rather than "detach" and "attach", to use the Rockwell buzzwords.

ASF said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...don't you need the dongle with the activation on it connected to be able to rehost the activation? I thought that was the whole point, before you're allowed to attach the activation to some other hardware address, you have to detach it from whichever address it's on now...

Hi my friend,

I have explained before in another thread how an Activation is the association of a software serial number with a hardware Host ID. This association is stored in the licence file generated by Rockwell and is locked in by means of an encrypted signature.

FactoryTalk Activation Manager references the association by means of the licence file. When Rehosting, the licence is all that FTA Manager needs to reference in order to create a Rehost Code. Neither the software product nor the Host ID needs to be present on the computer to perform a Rehost.

If it were the case that the Host ID must be present, then this would make it impossible for a user to perform a Rehost where the hardware has gone faulty, has been changed, or even gone missing, as in this case. A call to Rockwell is an option here, but they do not intend that option to be the first.

That being said; one exception to the above is if the only copy of the licence file available to a user was on a USB-DONG2's storage space, and that has gone missing, well then that is another matter. But at the time of its acquisition, the licence file should really be backed up somewhere and not solely stored on the USB Dongle.

Think of the Activation as a primer, loaded in FTAM via the licence file, ready to Activate the product whenever both the software and the associated Host ID are present.

ASF said:
...I've never caught George being wrong yet...

You might have to be up early to catch me out, but you being down under means you usually are up before me, so you're in as good a position as any to "try"! (y)

But trust me, on a daily basis I'm wrong more often than you would think, and I would like to admit.

P.s. Another important note on Rehosting I forgot to mention...

Although the limit on Rehosting a serial number within a 12 month period is 3 times, using self-service, the maximum any serial number can be Rehosted during a 12 month period is 5 times. So that is 3 self-service and 2 calls to Rockwell.

Regards,
George

Not sure I follow...

Say I have computer A and computer B. On computer A, I activate my software, associating it with Dongle A. I then copy the lic file to Computer B and point FTAM to it, and insert Dongle A. Now Computer B works with Dongle A.

Now, I go back to Computer A, and rehost the activation to Dongle B. Computer B will still work with Dongle A, and Computer A will now work with Dongle B.

If I've got this right, it seems like Rockwell leaving themselves wide open to duplicating an activation up to 3 times a year... :confused:

Last edited:
Huh. That seems like Rockwell leaving themselves wide open to unscrupulous types buying one license and turning it into 3 new licenses every year. Which, given how hard they've worked to make this activation thing happen, seems odd!

Never mind. I'm sure such unscrupulous types have no business here :whistle:

rockwell software is so easy to crack, that doing the rehosting would actually be more trouble.

regardless, locks(or software registration) only keep an honest man out.