You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old May 9th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #1
garbagegasman
United States

Fancy Exclamation FactoryTalk Studio SE Stalls when you try to open tag browser

Ok so when I open the properties of any object in FactoryTalk View Studio SE and try to open the tag browser to change its connection the program stalls and the tag browser won't open. When I open Task Manager and close the program (because you can't interact with it at all) right after the program closes the task manager shows Tag Browser open but there's no window open. I'm still able to change the tag connection by manually typing the tags in when I know them but seeing as we're updating from RSView32 I don't always know what the paths are. I don't know what caused this problem since this system is currently not in use and no one else made any changes in between when it was still working and now.

Any advice would be helpful.
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Have you switched from a multi-display setup to a single-display setup ?

The Tag Browser is notorious for getting "stuck" on the desktop co-ordinates of a second display, and becoming effectively inaccessible when you go back to a single display.

There are a couple of Knowledgebase documents about getting the window position back. Obviously the easiest thing is to go back to dual monitor mode and move it back onto the primary monitor.

You could also probably get the window back onscreen by pressing the Browse button then the following keystrokes:

1. Alt-Space
2. M
3. Left, Right, Up or Down Arrow key - until the browser appears.
4. Click OK on the tag browser window to save the current position coordinates.
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #3
garbagegasman
United States

Actually it has been running on 4 monitors for quite a while and this is the first time we've had this problem. We did change the main monitor designation, so maybe that had a similar effect. I will try changing it back and see what that does.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #4
garbagegasman
United States

Ok, so I expanded FT Studio across all 4 monitors and still nothing showed up. It truly does stall the software as soon as you click on any of the tag browser buttons. It seems like the DiB server isn't loading while FT Studio is open. Whenever I use task manager to shut it down though DiB server does open and shows up both in task manager and on the task bar and I have to close it manually.
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #5
hazemabdulrab
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post

The Tag Browser is notorious for getting "stuck" on the desktop co-ordinates of a second display, and becoming effectively inaccessible when you go back to a single display.

There are a couple of Knowledgebase documents about getting the window position back. Obviously the easiest thing is to go back to dual monitor mode and move it back onto the primary monitor.

You could also probably get the window back onscreen by pressing the Browse button then the following keystrokes:

1. Alt-Space
2. M

you sir are a genius . Thank you
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #6
rexcramer
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagegasman View Post
Ok so when I open the properties of any object in FactoryTalk View Studio SE and try to open the tag browser to change its connection the program stalls and the tag browser won't open. When I open Task Manager and close the program (because you can't interact with it at all) right after the program closes the task manager shows Tag Browser open but there's no window open. I'm still able to change the tag connection by manually typing the tags in when I know them but seeing as we're updating from RSView32 I don't always know what the paths are. I don't know what caused this problem since this system is currently not in use and no one else made any changes in between when it was still working and now.

Any advice would be helpful.
I had this exact problem a couple weeks ago in ME, going from a multi monitor to a single, ended up calling Rockwell Tech and they fixed it in a couple of minutes. Can't remember the registry I edited to fix it though.
Old September 15th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #7
aaronpeeet
Canada

Quote:

1. Alt-Space
2. M
yes! you are the man.
Old March 28th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #8
ronny_resistor
Canada

Missing Factory Talk Tag browser

I was working on Factorytalk Me V8.2 and I have version 9.0 installed. Dual screen two instances running, one for duplicating my work onto another screen.

To my surprise the Tag Browser disappeared, every program I had the Tag Browser was gone. I could release the Tag browser request by pushing the <ESC> button but there was no tag Browser. I thought the worst my database is corrupt.

I re-installed ME v9.0 and still had the same problem. I went back to the hotel and tried what KEN has written here. thank you Ken you saved my Bacon once again. I wish you nothing but praise

Tomorrow I am flying home and I am no longer doomed.
Old February 13th, 2018, 04:15 PM   #9
John Morris
United States

Quote:

1. Alt-Space
2. M

Took me a couple of minutes to pull it off cause I was laughing pretty hard at how easy it was and how freaked I was getting. One of the down falls of hiding the task bar.

Thank you Ken
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum