1 phase in, 1 phase out VFD.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm in the search for a 1 phase in, 1 phase out VFD, 110 VAC, 1/4 hp.
Any recommendations?
It would be great if it has a keypad that can be installed remotely (12 ft).

Thank you!

Hi all,
I'm in the search for a 1 phase in, 1 phase out VFD, 110 VAC, 1/4 hp.
Any recommendations?
It would be great if it has a keypad that can be installed remotely (12 ft).

Thank you!

How are you going to control the speed of a 1 phase AC motor ?

You will need a single phase in 3 phase out VFD with a 3 phase motor.

Most drive manufacturers make a single phase 120V input 3 phase 230v output drives. You will need a 3 phase motor for it to work correctly and reliably.

There are some AC drives out there for single phase AC motors, but I won't even name any here, as they are all pretty much garbage. You would do better just getting a little KB drive and a 1/4 HP DC motor.

Thank you everybody for your feedback.
My own research is in line with your ideas, guys: I'll use a 3 phase motor and a VFD.

There are 3 main mfrs of single phase OUTPUT VFDs, one is fairly decent and is brand labeled by several other companies, but it's all the same product. The thing is, they (all of them) can ONLY work on two types of single phase motors; PSC (Permanent Split capacitor) and Shaded Pole. Those two types of motors are notoriously low starting torque so are suitable for essentially just centrifugal pumps and fans. In addition, Shaded Pole motors can be speed controlled using simpler voltage control (aka "dimmer"), so really, the single phase output VFDs are relegated to PSC motors for the most part. If your single phase motor is not PSC, you cannot use any kind of VFD on it (and have them both survive).

The other thing is, because their sales volume is a fraction of that of VFDs with 3 phase output, they cost is very high in comparison. So most of the time you will be money ahead by using a 3 phase motor and a VFD that accepts single phase input.

If you want to pursue the Single Phase OUTPUT type VFDs, the main supplier is a UK company called Invertek, their products are also sold in North America under the brand names Anacon and Bardac. The product is decent quality. The other sources are small niche players in the HVAC industry for what I call "**** fan" controllers (used to balance air flow in bathroom vent fans of large HVAC installations), I can't remember their names because they really are not industrial quality products so I never deal with them.