When to PLC's and SCADA become DCS?

ihc

Hello,
Hopefully this is relatively simple to someone with DCS experience, what defines a DCS system? I have seen many SCADA and PLC projects selling themselves as DCS but i confess to not knowing the definition. Unfortunately a google on the net didn't produce a definition. Thanks.

There is no base I/O count, no feature, no number that defines "DCS" and "PLC/SCADA" in anything that an engineer would understand.

These are marketing terms, not engineering ones. A system is a DCS when someone sells it as a DCS.

A "classic" DCS consists of conventional PID controllers linked with a communications network with a computer graphic interface for status and tuning. A "classic" SCADA consists of RTUs (remote terminal units) connected by a serial or radio telemetry link to a computer interface. As Allen points out the lines between DCS and SCADA is blurred, and nowdays PLC, PID controllers, and RTUs can exist on a single system.

If they and try to sell you the chairs with your operator consoles, it's probably a DCS.

The day I realized the difference between a PLC and a DCS, was the day I found a specification and part number in a Bailey manual for a gray office chair!

AK

akreel,
We have a Foxboro DCS, and they sell the chair AND operator station.
We have one, looks like something from the 1960's STARTREK TV series.
Has 6 monitors run by two Sparc stations and four x-terminals.
It was bought with the original installation and cost an arm, two legs, and a torso.

Now that's a DCS.

Ken

Greetings ihc,

I doubt that you’ll need anything beyond what has already been posted ... but this post seems to have helped a few people get a “big picture” idea of what’s involved ... just be sure to notice the “disclaimer” near the top ... as everyone else has said, basically there are no “hard and fast” rules when it comes to defining the differences between one type of system and the other ...

and welcome to the forum ...