Would like some information as to the practices in automation/ control sys. industry

blackslipper

Hi all

I would like to know how:

1. How common is it in automation/ process and or machine control system industry /control systems industry to convert ladder logic on one PLC to another language e.g. FBD, ST. on another PLC, of different manufactures
  2. How common is it in automation/ process and or machine control system industry /control systems industry to replace an obsolete PLC with another PLC. A PLC in which the engineers working with the system can have more control and understanding over. As opposed to a system being controlled by a PLC that they refer to as a black box of problems.
Can stats and examples be provided, I want to know how common an area this is, trying to gauge the market

Regards

Black Slipper

Well i think what u are saying is very common

after a certain time getting support , spare tiem on old system become difficult and expensive and people think in investing in renewing their system

migration from families from the same manufacturer is more common , since u might have a migration tool and the differnces in language are not very sever

I would not say its common but I have seen several different scenarios occur. Some examples:

-A customer (Tier 1 auto supplier) replaced all of his Siemens equipment with Allen Bradley because of the lack of support. His downtime and chargebacks from his customer because of not being able to supply parts was greater than the cost of replacing the PLCs. At the same time he had some PC based test systems he refitted also.

-Large capitailized equipment that was installed years ago are commonly retooled for newer products and that includes the control system so that it can better handle the newer servos, etc. Our last we tore out the Modicon system and replaced it with ControlLoigx.

-Replacing PLC/2s with PLC/5s has been common for many years.

Last edited: