Step 7 'Symbol table does not exist'

Jeebs

Hi,

Added a new station to an existing project.
Programmed it, using symbols etc, looked real nice.
Machine also needs a HMI, so I added one, integrating it to the Step 7 project. We use WinCC Flex 2008.
Made connection, well managed to after spending an hr wondering why it turned orange the moment I selected the connection (OP73 can't handle more then 32 profibus adresses it seems)

Well this was not the problem. All looked well, HMI was almost done, selecting the items I needed through the symbol selection is great and so easy.
Then I noticed a small issue between the as-is and to-be, so opened the STL-editor to fix it.
Now I noticed my symbols didn't display.
No problem I thought, just activate them.
So I do the View > Display with > Symbolic representation.
This did not yield the desired effect. I now get the error message: "No symbols can be displayed because the S7 program does not have a symbol table."

Odd I think.
I checked and there was indeed a symbol table there.
Tried adding another, knowing Step 7 will not add it if there is already one, and indeed it gives me an error saying there is already a Symbol table present.
Great.

I check the HMI and odd enough, I still have my symbols in WinCC Flex.

So I have:
Deleted the Symbol table.
Created a new one.
Exported the Symbol table.
Imported the Symbol table.
Reorganized.
Reconfigured the HMI.

Done the above steps in many different orders.
But my problem still remains.
I cannot get that PLC program to show any symbols.
All other programs and Symbols tables work.
A previous back-up in which I've added the station and the HMI also work.
It's just this version that doesn't seem to want to work.

Anyone know how I can tell Simatic manager and STL-editor to open it's eyes and see the bloody Symbol table?
(yes kind of frustrated here)

Well, thanks for reading this far...🤾

Can you post a screen shot showing your project tree shown on the left hand pane ?

tree001.JPG

Last edited:
I have a back up of the symbol table, but it doesn't quite work as it should.

Project tree as requested:

LN01_02_project_tree.jpg

Note to self: Do not attempt a Save as with reorganization from a network drive.

Took over 16hrs to complete and ended up telling me it can't save cause it couldn't find a certain gsd file.

Updated HW-catalog, did a local save as (slow), took about 7 hrs, but it fixed my problem.