painfully simple question - how do i create a string tag in rslogix5000

schaya

i would like to think i am a fairly capable fellow, but

when i load the 'NEW TAG' dialog box... click '..' to search for data type and go to Strings->STRING, i get an error

Failed to interpret the data type. Tag data type string invalid.

Clicking help only leads to more mystery

Tag data type string is invalid.

The data type string is not a valid data type string. Select the data type from the data type list box.

thanks!

It took a couple of tries, but I think I finally figured out what you are doing... I usually type the data type in rather than search for it, you usually only need to type the first few characters and autocomplete fills in the rest. There appears to be some kind of anomoly that keeps you from actually grabbing the actual data type from the grouped list - Try unchecking the "Show data types by group box" and then select string or type it in directly - either of those methods seems to work.

A111208A.JPG

Last edited:
this works perfect.. never thought to uncheck that box since it was checked by default. many thanks.

custhelp.com is owned by Rightnow Technologies which lists Rockwell Automation as one of their customer help technologies clients in their annual report. It's probably ok.

Yes, link I posted is direct link to Rockwell knowlwdebase, but this specific technote does not require login.
If you don't trust my link just go to RA KB and access TN from there.
Alaric, I don't see this error if I have only one item under User-Defined. I beleive this is String Type related