Modicon Momentum I/O help needed!

tz12fh

I am having problems figuring out how to associate modicon momentum analog inputs, and outputs to the tags I've defined in my PLC program (Concept software being used). I know Quantum processors require you to use function blocks to read the analog data from the cards after which you are able to write this data to tags of your choice. It does not appear that you have to do this with momentums. However, my analog inputs, and outputs remain un-addressed so there is definitely a step I am missing. Can anyone help out there?

I'm going to assume you are using IEC ladder logic. There are several languages available in Concept, and both IEC and 984 ladder logic.

The I/O addressing is assigned in the configuration window. The address can be used directly in the program.

scratch2.jpg

Be careful using the analog function blocks. Most of them are for use with Quantum I/O. It is easiest to treat the analog the same as you would discrete in assigning tags to I/O as Tom suggested.

Thanks a bunch guys! Is the same necessary for digitals? ...or is the PLC happy as long as the module is defined, and my desired digitals are mapped to the proper addresses in the variable editor?

I think it depends on the I/O card model. I think some of them can be used directly, but in the ones I've used we had to strip the bits for inputs and move them to the outputs.

scratch1.jpg

Momentum I/O is usually connected to the processor via some type of network, because only one module is direct connected to the processor. Your network will dictate whether your discrete points are brought in individually (as Tom inferred, this is rare) or as a full word that needs to be "stripped".

Tom, you do not need to have the EN(able) and EO pins on all of your function blocks. When you chose the block, uncheck the choice for the EN and the block will be "always on".

tz,
I use Momentums in many of my pumping sites. I use the AMM 09 00 mixed I/O base and one thing to watch out for on the analog outputs is: you need to direct address the outputs BUT the first output uses the address of 400003, the second output will be 400004. 400001 and 400002 are reserved for status words in the PLC. This fun fact is in the brochure but not really highlighted so it is easy to miss (as I did) and wonder why the outputs won't work. On this base the discretes must be broken down as was mentioned. The word to bit and bit to word stuff is not needed on the discrete only bases but you must remember to invert the addressing ie. the first input is bit 16 and the sixteeth input is bit 1. If you are not confused by now I have done something wrong. The Momentums work great once you are used to their quirks. Also watch out for the battery backup, the AAA batteries don't seem to last very long.

Steve

Steve,

I am using the discrete only bases so this information is very helpful to me.

Thanks to you, & the others!

....this site is awesome