RS232 Communication and 12 VDC power supply

Lyndon

L
I have checked the plc's at www.TRI-plc.com. And I found that their E10 npn is suitable for my project and have the right price for my few input and output need of my project. Also the E10 can operate with 12 VDC supply, normally I know Plc operates with 24 VDc. But the 12 VDC is very appropriate for the environment my plc should work.

Also my project needs to work with RS232 communication with Modem or wireless phones, which the E10 has no tools to communicate with.

do you know of a plc that:

works with 12 VDC power supply
Communicates with RS232 modem communication and AT commands
data memory manipulation to communicate with RS232 modem
has 6-8 inputs and 6 outputs only
Dicrete i/o is sufficient
Small size

A price range of below 100 USD would be much appreciated.

REgards,

Lyndon

You might want to check out Automation Direct's DL05 series. Exceeds your minimum requirements by a LOT, including 2 comm. ports. Only trouble is you'll have to shell out an additional US$10... It costs US$109

beerchug

-Eric

AB Micrologix 1000 has the ability to be connected by modem using DF1/RS232.
http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/1761-um003a-en-p.pdf

Seems to me any brand that uses a RS232 interface should have the possibility but the only unit that more or less fits your budget and specs are the Micrologix1000, which can be obtained at $99 US with free software.

http://www.automationdirect.com/store/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware/DirectLogic_05/PLC_Units
Automationdirects DL05 fits your budget/specs but I am not sure about the modem part.

OOPS, I am not sure about the 12vdc part.

I left one brand out that can fit your specs (12vdc too but I am not sure about price) with free software and has serial ports. The brand is http://www.entertron.com/controllers.htm
Stephen Luft is a member of this forum and a representative for Entertron, you may want to contact him with your needs.

Last edited:
12V PLC

Omron also has a 12V PLC (CPM1A and CPM2A micro-PLCs). Your other needs are pretty standard for most micro PLCs. I am not familiar with Automation Direct and AB 12V PLCs...

Lyndon,

As Mr. Doran, mentioned, we do have 12 VDC controllers with both RS232 and RS485 serial ports. Based on the I/O you require, the Smart-PAK series would be sufficient.

For more information about the Smart-PAK please click on this link - www.entertron.com/smart-pak.htm

From our home page, you can download our programming software. You will be requested for a password to unlock your download. Complete and email back this form - www.entertron.com/form.htm and a password will be sent to you.

There are a few other manufacturers that offer the capability of 12 VDC controllers:

Automation Direct
Idec
Tri PLC
I have heard of Omron's but have not seen any spec sheets stating that they do a 12 VDC unit.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Stephen Luft