PanelView Plus Password Change

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey all,

Fairly certain I know the answer to this, but before I go back and tell that to the customer I thought I'd just see if anyone knows of a trick that I don't...

Using a PanelView Plus 6, and FTView ME version 8. Using runtime security in it's normal fashion. The client has requested a button, accessible only to a supervisor, which allows them to change the passwords for all users.

I don't believe it's possible while still using the inbuilt runtime security - as far as I've been able to tell from experimentation and reading the manual, the only password change functionality built into the platform is the password change button, which allows the currently logged in user to change only their own password.

Does anyone know of any tricks to do what the client wants, or do I just go back the customer and quietly ask why they haven't done that already on all of their other 30-40 PanelView Plus units? ;)

Perhaps?...

490059 - Administrative Password Reset ActiveX Control
Access Level: Everyone

Their little example scenario is laughable. A disgruntled Engineer? Never!

Regards,
George

Huh, I didn't even think of an ActiveX control! Thanks George!

If you really did have a disgruntled engineer who was the sabotaging type, I think that a changed password on a HMI is probably the least of your worries :oops:

The latest version of the firmware should allow this via the password button, if the user is logged in as administrator. I remember seeing it listed in either the latest v8.0 or v8.2 firmware summary.

Very good rupej...

"Finally, the Password button now includes a Mode configuration"...

613707 - Runtime User Management for FactoryTalk View Machine Edition version 8.0

Scroll down to Figure 6.

Another v8 feature I was not aware of. Although I have v8 installed, I am still mostly using v7 and haven't gotten to grips yet with everything "new" in v8.

See also...

Changes in how Security Codes are applied...

617466 - FactoryTalk View Machine Edition 8.0 Runtime Security Code Changes

Changes in how the FactoryTalk Directory is applied per HMI application...

608976 - FactoryTalk View Machine Edition 8.0 Security Changes

Regards,
George