UPS in a PLC system

cncsparky

Looking for a UPS that integrates well into a L8xE Control logix installation.

We have used the AB 1609-D1500N Ethernet IP UPS's in the past, but they are now discontinued.

Would like to be able to pull UPS status and alarms into the PLC for HMI visibility.

Smaller 120VAC control probably less than 3KVA.

netnathan
How you like the Falcons? I deployed several but they are too young to evaluate. I bought them for their temp range but their Modbus was some 3rd party dongle kind of thing so I didn't opt for it. If you did, how is it?

netnathan
How you like the Falcons? I deployed several but they are too young to evaluate. I bought them for their temp range but their Modbus was some 3rd party dongle kind of thing so I didn't opt for it. If you did, how is it?

I like the Falcons a lot. Very fast delivery and support. Pretty durable, I have a few that have been installed for 3 years. The display is a little odd and takes a little understanding, but it looks cool. It would be nice if info was a little more straight forward, but the graphic display is universal language...

The strange thing I recently found out with them was the UPS does not like grounded neutral on the output?? I had to add a transformer on the supply side of the UPS to supply ungrounded 120V power to the primary of the transformer (from the UPS) and my controls on the secondary with a grounded neutral.
The oddest thing is The other 3 Falcons out there are running fine on grounded neutral from UPS.

Last edited:
Yea, that display is indeed odd, a very Jetsons vibe to it.

All mine are grounded neutral and I have not seen that problem. Did have one where that E-stop contact was not jumpered. that was fun.

Yea, that display is indeed odd, a very Jetsons vibe to it.

All mine are grounded neutral and I have not seen that problem. Did have one where that E-stop contact was not jumpered. that was fun.

By E-Stop, you mean the "Remote Emergency Power Off (REPO)"? I use that to shut down the UPS when control power is turned off.
I also use the UA88376-SSG board to allow remote monitoring of the unit by the plc and also a hardwire kit to remove the inlet/outlet plugs.