AB [OSR] Bit Usage?

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I had always thought that you weren't supposed to use the bit for an OSR instruction elswhere in a program.

Then I'm reading AB's manual for the HSCE2 (pub 1746-UM002A-US-P) and see the following construct on page 6-17:

B3:0/0 B3:0/6 B3:0/4 B3:0/7 O:1/17
------] [-------] [---------]/[------[OSR]--------(L)------

B3:0/7 O:1/17
------] [-------] [--------- - - ->

In the RSLogix help for SLC instructions, it says that the bit value of for the OSR is where the previous state of the rung is retained. This is misleading at best.

Could it be that as long as the conditions preceeding the OSR are still true, the Bit will be a 1? Sort of like a middle of the rung output????

You are probably right, but I wouldn't count on it. I only us ethem once. The programming examples in the various manuals are "shaky" at best. They seldom work as written. Good luck. If the example were right, you could simply use an ote instead of an otl on the first rung to acccomplish the result of the second.

Last edited:
osr

Yes, the bit still at 1 as long as the rung goes fals.

I try it in a plc5 and it's working. You can programed in this way but, you must make a good description.

I think, is a bad way to program.

For me, a OSR is a OSR. I use it only as osr.